Story Titles from the Tech Law Journal Daily E-Mail Alert, by Issue.
July - December 2006
Alert No. 1,511, Thursday, December 28.
• AT&T Proposes Further Merger Conditions
• DC Circuit Rules on FOIA Access to DOC Records Regarding Trade Dispute
• DC Circuit Rules in Nuvio v. FCC
Alert No. 1,510, Wednesday, December 27.
• FCC Releases Report on Cable Prices
• FCC Adopts Order Affecting Local Franchising Authorities
• Adelstein Opposes Franchising Order
• Reaction to FCC Franchising Order
• Jule Sigall Joins Microsoft
Alert No. 1,509, Wednesday, December 20.
• Bush Signs Bill Extending R&D Tax Credit
• DHS Officials Defend Automated Targeting System
• 1st Circuit Addresses Copyright Preemption
• 1st Circuit Addresses Probative and Substantial Similarity in Copyright Infringement Case
Alert No. 1,508, Tuesday, December 19.
• More Comments on FCC's Consideration of the AT&T BellSouth Merger
• Texas Obtains Permanent Injunction Against Sony BMG
• 5th Circuit Rules in Copyright Registration Case
• House Commerce Committee Democrats Seek Further Information from HP's Mark Hurd
Alert No. 1,507, Monday, December 18.
• McDowell Disqualifies Himself in AT&T BellSouth Merger Proceeding
• Antitrust Division Amends 2001 Merger Review Process Initiative
• DOT Seeks Applications for Funding of IT Based Traffic Management Programs
• Bernanke Speaks About Growth in China
Alert No. 1,506, Friday, December 15.
• US and PRC Wrap Up First Strategic Economic Dialogue
• Copyright Industry Groups and National Copyright Administration of China Enter Into MOU
• GAO Reports on Agencies' Failure to Implement IT Worker Exchange Program
• SEC Adopts E-Proxy Rule Changes
Alert No. 1,505, Thursday, December 14.
• FCC Releases Agenda for December 20 Event
• Rep. Pelosi Announces Some Committee Assignments
• Sen. Tim Johnson Hospitalized
Alert No. 1,504, Wednesday, December 13.
• Congress Expands Powers of FTC
• Congress Extends R&D Tax Credit
• House But Not Senate Approves Caller ID Spoofing Bill
Alert No. 1,503, Tuesday, December 12.
• OUSTR Reports on PR China's Continuing Failure to Protect IPR
• Cato Paper Criticizes Use of Predictive Data Mining to Fight Terrorism
Alert No. 1,502, Monday, December 11.
• FCC General Counsel Opinion Authorizes McDowell to Participate in AT&T BellSouth Merger Proceeding
• GAO Reports on Overlap Between NIPLECC and STOP Programs
Alert No. 1,501, Friday, December 8.
• Supreme Court Grants Certiorari in Antitrust Cases
Alert No. 1,500, Thursday, December 7.
• FBI Director Mueller Testifies Before Senate Judiciary Committee
• Martin and Congressional Leaders Exchange Letters Re AT&T BellSouth Merger
• Cox Discusses Competing XBRL Taxonomies
Alert No. 1,499, Tuesday, December 5.
• 5th Circuit Construes Private Right of Action Under § 1030
• DOJ Report Discusses FBI's Failures in Creating a Secure Web Accessed File System
• House Approves Bill to Allow USPTO to Extend Deadlines After Disasters
Alert No. 1,498, Monday, December 4.
• DC Circuit Rules in Case Regarding Bells' Discrimination in Favor of Affiliates
• 3rd Circuit Construes Sherman Act in Dispute Between AT&T and Prepaid Phone Card Seller
Alert No. 1,497, Friday, December 1.
• Rep. Markey to Seek Chairmanship of Telecommunications and Internet Subcommittee
• Martin Speaks On Broadband Regulation and Competition
• Bernanke Discusses State of Economy and Computing
• DHS Discloses Some Details of Electronic Database of Personal Information
Alert No. 1,496, Thursday, November 30.
• Gingrich Discusses Limits of Free Speech on Internet
• Deputy USTR Bhatia Discusses Tech, Trade and Satellites in India
• Supreme Court Denies Stay in NYT Phone Records Subpoena Case
• GAO Releases Report on Dedicated Access Services
Alert No. 1,495, Wednesday, November 29.
• 7th Circuit Holds Illinois Video Game Law Unconstitutional
• FCC Seeks Comments on 10 Year Old Regulations
• USTR Schwab Discusses Trade Agenda
Alert No. 1,494, Monday, November 27.
• FCC to Conduct Media Ownership Studies
• Copyright Office Releases DMCA Anti-Circumvention Exemptions
Alert No. 1,493, Tuesday, November 21.
• California Supreme Court Rules in Section 230 Case
• US and Russia Sign Bilateral Market Access Agreement
• Grand Jury Indicts US Providers of Hizballah TV
• Gonzales Defends Terrorist Surveillance Program
• Paulson Calls for More Effective Section 404 Implementation
• Cox Addresses Affect of Communications Technology on Securities Regulation
Alert No. 1,492, Monday, November 20.
• House Judiciary Committee Holds Hearing on Caller ID Spoofing
• 4th Circuit Rules in CAN SPAM Case
• SEC Releases Annual Report
Alert No. 1,491, Friday, November 17.
• Gutierrez Discusses IPR in PR China
• Movie Companies Sue Company that Copies CSS Protected DVD Content onto PVPs
Alert No. 1,490, Thursday, November 16.
• WTO Appellate Body Issues Report in Customs Dispute Between US and EU
Alert No. 1,489, Wednesday, November 15.
• 5th Circuit Holds that Cable Television Service is Not a Utility Under 11 U.S.C. § 366
• Supreme Court Denies Certiorari in Commercial Speech Case
• FTC Sues Another Malware Distributor
• FTC Announces Promotions and Hirings
• Privacy Board Seeks Comments on Watch List Redress
Alert No. 1,488, Monday, November 13.
• Rep. Barton to Run for Minority Leader
• US and Russia Conduct Negotiations on Russian Accession to the WTO
Alert No. 1,487, Friday, November 10.
• 7th Circuit Holds GPL and Open Source Software Do Not Violate Antitrust Law
• Deval Patrick Elected Governor of Massachusetts
Alert No. 1,486, Thursday, November 9.
• Vietnam to Join WTO
• Commentary: Some Possible Consequences of the 2006 Elections on Federal Technology Law
Alert No. 1,485, Wednesday, November 8.
• FCC Releases BPL Order
• Mandelson Discusses IPR and Market Access in PR China
• Internet Governance Forum Discusses IDNs
• NCTA Seeks Delay of Integration Ban
• CEA Files Bi-Directional Digital Cable Compatibility Proposal with FCC
Alert No. 1,484, Tuesday, November 7.
• FCC Releases Order on Remand Regarding Broadcast Indecency
• OUSTR Moves Indonesia From Priority Watch List
• Cato Paper Assesses WTO Proceeding on Internet Gambling
• 3rd Circuit Reverses in DirecTV v. Leto
Alert No. 1,483, Monday, November 6.
• FTC Files Administrative Complaint Against Deceptive Adware Distributor
• FTC Sues Spammer Under CAN-SPAM Act for Blocking Opt Out Reply Messages
• Microsoft and Novell Announce Linux Agreement
• Copyright Office Issues Opinion Regarding Meaning of § 114's Preexisting Subscription Services
Alert No. 1,482, Friday, November 3.
• FCC Again Delays Approval of AT&T BellSouth Merger
• FCC Declares that BPL is an Information Service
• Adelstein Comments on Pretexting and Privacy
• FTC Releases Report on Noerr Pennington Doctrine
Alert No. 1,481, Thursday, November 2.
• FCC Rules Boston Airport Cannot Regulate WiFi
• NMPA to Settle with Kazaa over P2P Infringement
• Copyright Office Publishes Notice of Ringtones Opinion
Alert No. 1,480, Wednesday, November 1.
• Bush Continues Attacks on Democrats for Voting Record on PATRIOT Act and NSA Electronic Surveillance
• GAO Reports on Federal Government Cybersecurity R&D
• DOJ Suspends Investigation of Entercom's Purchase of Radio Stations from CBS
• 2nd Circuit Affirms Dismissal of Antitrust Action Brought by Web Site Payments Processor
Alert No. 1,479, Tuesday, October 31.
• Supreme Court Denies Cert in Inequitable Conduct Case
• DOJ Approves VITA Patent Policy
• Alfred Kahn Opines Against Net Neutrality Regulation
• Deputy Treasury Secretary Discusses CFIUS
Alert No. 1,478, Monday, October 30.
• Supreme Court Grants Cert In Microsoft v. AT&T
• Copyright Office Delays Release of Triennial DMCA Exemptions Rule
• FCC Releases Agenda for November 3 Meeting
Alert No. 1,477, Friday, October 27.
• Martin Discusses Chevron Deference, Biennial Reviews and Forbearance
• 8th Circuit Affirms in Connect Communications v. SWBT
• Copyright Office Opines that Cellphone Ringtones are Digital Phonorecord Deliveries Under Section 115
Alert No. 1,476, Thursday, October 26.
• CEA and Others Announce Digital Freedom Campaign
• FTC to Seek Information About Internet Advertising of Alcohol
Alert No. 1,475, Wednesday, October 25.
• SGI Sues ATI for Patent Infringement in Western District of Wisconsin
• Bush Discusses Electronic Surveillance
• EU Trade Commissioner Advocates IPR Protection
Alert No. 1,474, Tuesday, October 24.
• IBM Sues Amazon for Patent Infringement in Eastern District of Texas
• Federal Circuit Vacates in Qualcomm v. Nokia
• Federal Circuit Rules in Safeclick v. Visa
• Fourth Round of Korea US FTA Negotiations Commence
Alert No. 1,473, Monday, October 23.
• SEC Chairman Plugs Interactive Data and XBRL Reader Products
• FCC Releases NOI on Video Competition and Other Issues
• FCC Adopts NPRM Proposing New DTV Table of Allotments
Alert No. 1,472, Friday, October 20.
• District Court Dismisses Hacking Case Against IBM
• CBS Radio Settles With New York
• OUSTR Seeks Comments on Internet Gambling
Alert No. 1,471, Wednesday, October 18.
• FBI Director Mueller Seeks Data Retention Mandate
• EFF Sues DOJ for Failure to Respond to FOIA Request for Records About FBI's Investigative Data Warehouse
Alert No. 1,470, Tuesday, October 17.
• Supreme Court Denies Certiorari in Hatch v. Cellco Partnership
• Federal Reserve Governor Bies Addresses Information Security
• GAO Reports on FBI's IT Management Problems
Alert No. 1,469, Monday, October 16.
• FTC Charges Real Estate Groups that Limited Publication of Listings on Certain Web Sites
• Bush Signs Port Security Bill
• FCC Issues Second Public Notice Seeking Comments on AT&T's Revised Proposed Conditions
Alert No. 1,468, Friday, October 13.
• FCC Further Delays AT&T BellSouth Merger Decision and NOI on Broadband Industry Practices
• FCC Releases Public Notice Seeking Comments on AT&T's Proposed Conditions
Alert No. 1,467, Thursday, October 12.
• FCC Delays its AT&T BellSouth Merger Review Decision
• FCC Adopts Order and FNPRM Regarding TV White Space
• FCC Adopts Order Affecting Qualcomm's Mediaflo Service
• FCC Adopts NOI Regarding Video Competition
Alert No. 1,466, Wednesday, October 11.
• DOJ Approves AT&T BellSouth Merger
• DOJ Fines Oracle $98.5 Million
• SEC Official Addresses Online Identity Theft and Securities Fraud
Alert No. 1,465, Tuesday, October 10.
• Supreme Court Denies Cert in TCPA Preemption Case
• Supreme Court Denies Cert in At Home v. Cox and Comcast
• 5th Circuit Rules in SBC Texas v. PUC Texas
Alert No. 1,464, Monday, October 9.
• Bush Signs Trademark Dilution Revision Act
• FCC Releases Agenda for October 12 Meeting
• US and EU Enter Into New PNR Agreement
• IG Reports on Porn Surfing and Online Gambling at the Department of the Interior
Alert No. 1,463, Friday, October 6.
• Summary of Existing Federal Laws Related to Pretexting
• Federal Criminal Statutes Related to Pretexting
• Civil and Administrative Actions by Federal Agencies Related to Pretexting
• Federal Private Rights of Action Related to Pretexting
• FCC License Revocation, Renewal and Transfer Proceedings
Alert No. 1,462, Thursday, October 5.
• California Charges Patricia Dunn and Others With Four Felonies
• Cingular Sues Pretexting Firm Involved in HP Scandal
• Verizon Wireless Files John Doe Complaint Against HP's Pretexters
• HP Discloses Terms of Ann Baskins' Resignation Agreement
• Persons Involved in the HP Scandal
• Bibliography for HP Scandal
Alert No. 1,461, Wednesday, October 4.
• House and Senate Approve Port Security Bill With Tech Provisions
• Bush Discusses Surveillance, FISA and HR 5825
Alert No. 1,460, Tuesday, October 3.
• McAfee Asserts That Microsoft's Vista Threatens Security
• Gonzales Addresses Counterfeiting and Piracy
• FCC Approves Alltel Acquisition of Midwest Wireless Holdings
• FCC Releases Order Regarding Support for Telemedicine
• FCC Releases Report on Wireless Competition
Alert No. 1,459, Monday, October 2.
• NTIA and ICANN Sign Agreement
• Status of Intellectual Property Bills
Alert No. 1,458, Friday, September 29.
• WTO Panel Releases Report on EU Biotech Ban
• SEC Initiative Would Update Books and Records Requirement for New IT
• Task Force on Child Obesity and Media Formed
Alert No. 1,457, Wednesday, September 27.
• House Judiciary Committee Puts Off Consideration of Copyright Legislation Until Next Year
• DC Circuit Upholds FCC Regulation of Towers and Antennas Under National Historic Preservation Act
• SEC Awards Contracts to Implement Its Transition to Interactive Data
• Cox Names Silicon Valley Lawyer to SEC Post
Alert No. 1,456, Tuesday, September 26.
• House Commerce Committee Issues Subpoenas in HP Investigation
• Mandelson Discusses Doha and Globalization
• British Library Advocates Exemption to Ban on Circumvention and Other Limitations on IPR
• FCC Releases Order Creating Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau
Alert No. 1,455, Monday, September 25.
• Dunn Resigns Over Role in HP Spying Scandal
• US and PRC Announce Strategic Economic Dialogue
• SEC's Cox Says Interactive Data Will Make U.S. Markets More Competitive Globally
• Stearns and Upton Introduce Bills to Prohibit Deception in Video and Computer Games Rating Process
• Hatch and Feinstein Introduce Bill Regarding Specialized Patent Judges
• Senate Judiciary Committee Holds Over Consideration of Perform Act and Patent Reform Act
• House to Vote on IP Bills
• Senate Judiciary Committee Approves Some Judges
Alert No. 1,454, Thursday, September 21.
• Sen. Stevens Addresses Communications Reform Bill
• House Judiciary Committee Holds Mark Up Session
• FCC Completes First Advanced Wireless Services Spectrum Auction
• Copyright Office Announces Notice of Inquiry Regarding Cable Statutory License
Alert No. 1,453, Wednesday, September 20.
• FCC Releases Agenda for September 26 Event
• Summary of 911 VOIP Provisions in Senate's Port Security Bill
• CIIP Subcommittee Considers Bill to Allow Late Application for Patent Extension
Alert No. 1,452, Tuesday, September 19.
• Greg Garcia Named Assistant Secretary for Cyber Security and Telecommunications at DHS
• Senate Approves US Oman FTA
• AeA Seeks Scaled Approach to SOX 404
• CDT Releases Internet Watch List
Alert No. 1,451, Monday, September 18.
• Sen. Dorgan Criticizes Offshore Outsourcing of Software Development
• Commerce Department Proposes to Mandate Reporting of International IP Transactions
• Paulson Advocates Free Trade and IPR
Alert No. 1,450, Friday, September 15.
• FCC Paper Finds Statistical Relationship Between Local Ownership and Local Programming
• DOJ's Barnett Slams Europe on Antitrust, iPods and Single Firm Conduct Analysis
• EU's Kroes Addresses Competition and Innovation
• Senate Judiciary Committee Puts Off Consideration of Judicial Nominees and Perform Act
Alert No. 1,449, Thursday, September 14.
• Senate Bill Provides $90 Million for Study of the Effect of Internet, DVDs, Video Games and Other Electronic Media on Youth
• Senate Adopts National Alert System Amendment
• HJC Approves Bill Regarding Specialized Patent Judges
Alert No. 1,448, Wednesday, September 13.
• House Judiciary Committee Holds Over Consideration of Copyright Modernization Act
• Senate Commerce Committee Holds Hearing on Nominations of Martin and Kneuer
Alert No. 1,447, Tuesday, September 12.
• Rep. Smith Combines Orphan Works Bill, SIRA, and Other Copyright Act Amendments
• House Commerce Committee Requests Records From HP Regarding Its Use of Pretexting to Obtain Confidential Records
• HP Says Dunn Will Remain as a Director
Alert No. 1,446, Monday, September 11.
• Gonzales Again Says Terrorists Use New Information and Communications Technologies
• Bush Discusses Electronic Surveillance and Amending the FISA
• Technology and Broadcast Groups Debate Merits of Draft WIPO Broadcast Treaty
• HP Board Continues to Meet
Alert No. 1,445, Friday, September 8.
• 9th Circuit Rules in Interconnection Dispute
• 7th Circuit Addresses Web Based Hotel Reservations and Consumer Fraud Actions
• 8th Circuit Rules Against Copyright Owner on Registration Errors
Alert No. 1,444, Thursday, September 7.
• Bernanke Gives Another Speech on ICT and Productivity Growth
• DHS Announces Final Rules for FOIA Exemption for Critical Infrastructure Information
• House Crime Subcommittee Holds Hearing on Proposals to Revise the FISA
• Thomas Perkins' States That HP's Pretexting Practices Were Probable Unlawful Conduct
• IRS Announces Procedures for Refund of Illegally Collected Phone Excise Taxes
Alert No. 1,443, Wednesday, September 6.
• HP Admits Spying on its Directors via Pretexting to Obtain Confidential Home Phone Records
• McDowell Names Permanent Staff
Alert No. 1,442, Thursday, August 31.
• Bush Renominates Five for Courts of Appeals
• FDA States That Canadian Web Sites Sell Counterfeit and Unsafe Drugs
• AT&T Loses Customer Data to Hackers
• FCC Commissioners Praise BellSouth's and Verizon's Elimination of Fees Imposed on DSL Customers
Alert No. 1,441, Wednesday, August 30.
• Solicitor General Urges Reversal in Bell Atlantic v. Twombly
• Schwab Says Many Protectionist Bills In Congress Won't Save a Single American Job
Alert No. 1,440, Tuesday, August 29.
• 1st Circuit Rules That § 605 Does Not Apply to Theft of Cable Signals Delivered by Wire
Alert No. 1,439, Friday, August 25.
• Bernanke Discusses Trade
• Mandelson Urges US to Extend Trade Promotion Authority
• USTR Meets With ASEAN Ministers
Alert No. 1,438, Thursday, August 24.
• US Attorney in New York Prosecutes Provider of Hizballah TV Broadcasts
Alert No. 1,437, Wednesday, August 23.
• Bush Issues Executive Order Regarding Health Care Information Technology
• 1st Circuit Construes Visual Artists Rights Act
Alert No. 1,436, Tuesday, August 22.
• FTC's Majoras Discusses Network Neutrality
• Majoras and Gonzales Offer Contrasting Views of the Internet
• Bush Says Judge Taylor Wrote a Terrible Opinion Re NSA Surveillance
Alert No. 1,435, Monday, August 21.
• SEC Commissioner Defends Section 404
• Georgelas Sentenced in Islamic Cyber Crime Case
• Dennis Carlton Named Head of Economic Analysis in Antitrust Division
• Michelle Connolly Named Chief Economist at FCC
Alert No. 1,434, Friday, August 18.
• DC Circuit Upholds FCC Order Re Separable Security for Cable Set-Top Boxes
• Bush's Press Office Criticizes District Court Opinion on NSA Surveillance Program
• Federal Circuit Addresses Patent Misuse
Alert No. 1,433, Thursday, August 17.
• District Court Holds NSA Surveillance Program Violates Constitution
Alert No. 1,432, Wednesday, August 16.
• Gonzales Says Online Radicalization Must Be Contained
• FTC Sues Movieland for Pop Up Ads Extortionate Tactics
• Diego Ruiz to Move from FCC to SEC
Alert No. 1,431, Tuesday, August 15.
• DC Circuit Upholds FCC's Forbearance Order Regarding Unbundling Obligations Under § 271 in Earthlink v. FCC
• 9th Circuit Addresses Aesthetic Functionality Doctrine in Trademark Law
• 9th Circuit Addresses Trademark Abandonment
Alert No. 1,430, Friday, August 11.
• Copyright Office Seeks Comments on Revising Reporting Practices of Cable Operators
• Grand Jury Indicts Man for Accessing E-Mail of Others at Former Place of Employment
• 11th Circuit Rules on Preemption of State Regulation of Wireless Services
Alert No. 1,429, Thursday, August 10.
• Rep. Markey Advocates Data Destruction Bill
• Sen. Hagel Bill Ties Foreign Assistance to Anti-Counterfeiting Measures
• CDT Reports that Well Known Companies Pay to Have Their Ads Displayed Via Harmful Adware
• August Recess Reading List
Alert No. 1,428, Wednesday, August 9.
• 9th Circuit Holds There is No Secondary Liability for Violation of ECPA's § 2702
• Caprio Named President of Progress and Freedom Foundation
• DC Circuit Affirms in Trudeau v. FTC
Alert No. 1,427, Tuesday, August 8.
• FTC Sues Walsh Optical for Internet Sales of Contact Lens Without Prescriptions
• SEC and EU's CESR to Discuss Interactive Data and Other IT Related Financial Reporting Issues
• FTC Holds That Rambus Unlawfully Monopolized Markets
Alert No. 1,426, Monday August 7.
• House Approves DOPA
• Senate Appropriations Committee Approves Website Labeling Mandate
• CDT Argues That Internet Filtering and Web Site Labeling Bills Threaten Free Speech
• Europe Announces Public Consultation on Regulation of Children's Use of Mobile Phones
• Sen. Bond Introduces Crime Bill That Would Affect Unauthorized Disclosures of Certain Surveillance Programs
• Senate Committee Holds Hearing on Cyber Security
Alert No. 1,425, Friday, August 4.
• Senate Ratifies Convention on Cybercrime
• Bush Extends Export Control Regime
Alert No. 1,424, Thursday, August 3.
• FCC Adopts MOO Regarding BPL Systems
• FCC Concludes 700 MHz Band Licensees Are Subject to 911/E911 Rules
• GAO Reports That DOD's Critical Information Technologies Lists are Outdated
Alert No. 1,423, Wednesday, August 2.
• SEC Sues Operator of Online Tout and Trade Scheme
• House Subcommittee Holds Hearing on Access to Whois Database
• Paulson Advocates Free Trade
• GAO Reports on Financial Restatements, Sarbanes Oxley, and Section 404
Alert No. 1,422, Tuesday, August 1.
• GAO Reports on Federal Government Transition to IPv6
• DOJ Closes Investigation of MediaNews' Acquisition of Mercury News and Contra Costa Times
• Federal Circuit Orders Reassignment in Eolas v. Microsoft
Alert No. 1,421, Monday, July 31.
• 7th Circuit Upholds Indiana Ban on Certain Charitable Telemarketing
• House Votes for Two Year Extension of the R&D Tax Credit
• DOJ Obtains Grand Jury Subpoena for Critic of NSA Surveillance
Alert No. 1,420, Friday, July 28.
• House Approves Health Sector IT Bill
• FCC Releases Agenda for August 3 Meeting
• Kazaa Settles With Music Companies
Alert No. 1,419, Thursday, July 27.
• 7th Circuit Rules in Antitrust and Patent Case
• Negotiators Trade Accusations About Collapse of Doha Talks
• PRC's Ministry of Commerce States It Has Perfect IPR Legal System
Alert No. 1,418, Wednesday, July 26.
• Panel Discusses Possible FTA with Taiwan
• House Approves Bill to Create DHS Office of Emergency Communications
• 7th Circuit Issues Second Opinion in Computer Hacking Case
• DC Circuit Denies Petition for Review in Echostar v. FCC
Alert No. 1,417, Tuesday, July 25.
• 9th Circuit Holds Government Can Conduct Warrantless Random Searches of Laptops of Persons Entering US at Airports
• 4th Circuit Affirms in IBM Sales Commission Case
Alert No. 1,416, Monday, July 24.
• 6th Circuit Affirms in BellSouth v. Universal Telecom
• FCC Adelphia Order Rejects Network Neutrality Objections
• Report Contends Universal Service Programs Are a Failure
Alert No. 1,415, Friday, July 21.
• District Court Denies DOJ Motion Dismiss Class Action Against AT&T Regarding Warrantless Surveillance
• Federal Reserve Reports on Activity in Tech Sector
• DOJ and SEC File Criminal and Civil Charges Against Former Brocade Executives for Backdating Stock Option Grants
Alert No. 1,414, Thursday, July 20.
• Microsoft Announces What Some of Its Business Practices Will Be After Expiration of U.S. Antitrust Order
Alert No. 1,413, Wednesday, July 19.
• Web Site Operator Indicted for Supporting Terrorism
• 11th Circuit Addresses § 230 Interactive Computer Service Immunity and Amazon Book Listing
Alert No. 1,412, Tuesday, July 18.
• District Court Rules in DVD Content Editing Copyright Case
• States File Civil Antitrust Complaint Against DRAM Makers
Alert No. 1,411, Monday, July 17.
• Federal Circuit Applies Foreign Sovereign Immunity Act in Patent Dispute
• DC Circuit Rules in Case Regarding AT&T's EPCCs
• FCC Approves Sales of Adelphia Assets
Alert No. 1,410, Thursday, July 13.
• 9th Circuit Affirms in FTC v. Cyberspace.com
• European Commission Takes Another 280.5 Million Euros From Microsoft
Alert No. 1,409, Wednesday, July 12.
• 9th Circuit Holds that Operation of Passive Website Is Insufficient to Create Personal Jurisdiction in Trademark Case
• 6th Circuit Upholds Choice of Forum Clause in Contract for Lease of Telecom Equipment
Alert No. 1,408, Tuesday, July 11.
• House Approves Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act
• District Court Denies Rep. Jefferson's Motion for Return of Property
• Schwab Discusses Doha Negotiations and Russia's Enforcement of IPR
Alert No. 1,407, Monday, July 10.
• Bush Discusses Technology, Innovation and Foreign Investment
• 9th Circuit Addresses 10b Securities Fraud Primary Violation Liability
• PFF Recommends Process at FCC for Limiting Outmoded Social Regulation
Alert No. 1,406, Friday, July 7.
• FCC Announces Agenda for July 13 Meeting
• GAO Reports that BIS Has Failed to Justify Its High Performance Computer Control Threshold
• DC Circuit Denies Petitions for Review in Case Regarding Forbearance from Application of Intercarrier Compensation Rules for ISP Bound Traffic
Alert No. 1,405, Thursday, July 6.
• SEC's Atkins Discusses E-Proxies, XBRL and 404 Reform
• English Professor Raises Copyright Misuse in Complaint Against Estate of James Joyce
Alert No. 1,404, Wednesday, July 5.
• Senate Commerce Committee Marks Up Communications Bill
• Mark Up of Title I -- Interoperable Emergency Communications
• Mark Up of Title II -- Universal Service, Interconnection, VOIP, and VOIP Preemption
• Mark Up of Title III -- Video Franchising
• Mark Up of Title IV -- Video Content and Broadcast Flag
• Mark Up of Title V -- Municipal Broadband
• Mark Up of Title VI -- Use of Broadcast White Space
• Mark Up of Title VII -- Digital Television
• Mark Up of Title VIII -- Mandating Web Site Warning Labels and Censoring Web Page Source Code
• Mark Up of Title IX -- Network Neutrality
• Mark Up of Titles X and XI -- Miscellaneous Provisions
• Reaction to the Senate Commerce Committee' Mark Up of HR 5252
• Story Titles from January - June, 2006.
• Story Titles from July - December, 2005.
• Story Titles from January - June, 2005.
• Story Titles from July - December, 2004.
• Story Titles from January - June, 2004.
• Story Titles from July - December, 2003.
• Story Titles from January - June, 2003.
• Story Titles from July - December, 2002.