Story Titles from the Tech Law Journal Daily E-Mail Alert, by Issue.
January - June, 2003
Alert No. 690, Monday, June 30.
• 5th Circuit Holds Texas Wine Sales Statute Unconstitutional
• Supreme Court Denies Cert in SBCCI v. Veeck
• 4th Circuit Affirms in WorldCom v. Boyne
Alert No. 689, Friday, June 27.
• Senate Commerce Committee Approves FCC Reauthorization Bill
• Senate Commerce Committee Approves Commercial Spectrum Enhancement Act
• Appeals Court Vacates Java Must Carry Injunction in Sun v. Microsoft
Alert No. 688, Thursday, June 26.
• Representatives Introduce Public Domain Enhancement Act
• Commentary: Lofgren Bill Could Prompt Copyright Office to Update Registration Regulations for Internet Media
• RIAA Announces Plans to Sue Individual P2P Infringers
Alert No. 687, Wednesday, June 25.
• Supreme Court Grants Certiorari in Nixon v. Missouri Municipal League
• Representatives Baird & Inslee Introduce ICANN Bill
• U.S. Focuses on Trade and Tech in Islamic Nations
• 9th Circuit Construes Section 230 Immunity in Suit Against Listserv Operator
• District Court Enters Final Judgment in US v. Village Voice and NT Media
• Amici File Brief In Support of RIAA in DMCA Subpoena Case
Alert No. 686, Tuesday, June 24.
• Supreme Court Upholds Children's Internet Protection Act
• FCC Announces Agenda for June 26 Meeting
• Representatives Smith & Berman Introduce Internet Piracy Education Bill
• Bills Introduced to Provide Grants for Community Telecom Planning
• Rep. Frank Introduces FOIA Exemption Bill
• Senators Hatch & Leahy Introduce Spam Crime Bill
• Tiger Woods' Licensing Agent Cannot Stop Sale of "Masters of Augusta"
Alert No. 685, Friday, June 20.
• Senate Commerce Committee Approves Bills
• Senate Commerce Committee Passes Media Ownership Bill
• Senate Commerce Committee Passes Spam Bill
• Senate Commerce Committee Approves Nanotech R&D Bill
Alert No. 684, Thursday, June 19.
• Sen. Hatch Comments Further About Remedies for P2P Piracy
• DOJ and Microsoft File Briefs with DC Circuit in CCIA/SIIA Appeal
• Senate Finance Committee Holds Hearing on Chile and Singapore FTAs
• Reps. Lofgren and Boucher Address FTAs and DMCA
Alert No. 683, Wednesday, June 18.
• Senate Committee Holds Hearing on P2P Networks
• News Analysis: Hatch Hyperbolizes About Destroying Computers on P2P Networks
• BIS Amends EAR Regarding Encryption Products
• OECD Releases Cross Border Fraud Guidelines
Alert No. 682, Tuesday, June 17.
• Supreme Court Denies Certiorari in Baystate v. Bowers
• Sen. Schumer Introduces Spam Bill
• Sen. McCain Introduces FTC Reauthorization Bill
Alert No. 681, Monday, June 16.
• Sen. McCain Introduces Telecom Bill
• Senate Commerce Committee to Hold Mark Up Session
• Bill Would Task DHS's IAIPD With National Parks Protection Responsibilities
• Sen. Schumer Introduces Wireless Number Portability Bill
• Senators Introduce Cell Phone Users Bill of Rights
• Rep. Sanders Introduces Bill to Reverse FCC's Media Ownership Report & Order
Alert No. 680, Friday, June 13.
• House Passes Class Action Fairness Act
• 4th Circuit Declines to Rule on Scienter Requirements of PSLRA
• J.D. Edwards Files Complaint Against Oracle
• SEC and U.S. Atty. Charge Former Network Associates Controller
• Rep. Smith Addresses Intellectual Property Rights
• Representatives Introduce Patent Bill to Encourage Collaborative Research
• Legislators Re-Introduce Bills to Address State IPR Sovereign Immunity
Alert No. 679, Thursday, June 12.
• House Passes Commercial Spectrum Enhancement Act
• House Rules Committee Adopts Rule for Class Action Fairness Act
• 3rd Circuit Revises Opinion in Omnipoint v. Easttown Following Rehearing
• EPIC Files FOIA Complaint Regarding Computer Assisted Passenger Screening System
• Total Information Awareness Oversight Board to Meet
• FTC Seeks Increased Authority to Regulate Spam
• FTC Seeks End to Communications Common Carrier Exemption
Alert No. 678, Wednesday, June 11.
• DC Circuit Addresses Standing to Challenge FCC Orders
• House Passes Internet Gambling Bill
• Ways and Means Committee Holds Hearing on Chile and Singapore FTAs
• Commissioner Abernathy Addresses FCC Spectrum Policy
Alert No. 677, Tuesday, June 10.
• 9th Circuit Rules on Misappropriation of Trade Secrets, and Application of Antitrust Law to Patents
• Sen. Baucus Asks for GAO Report on Lack of Transparency in the FTA Process
• FCC Announces NPRM Regarding Communications Facilities and the National Historic Preservation Act
• GAO Reports on DHS's Visa Entry/Exit Info Tech
• House To Take Up Internet Gambling Bill
• Bush Nominates Goldsmith to Head OLC
Alert No. 676, Monday, June 9.
• Senators Introduce Bill to Relax Student Loan Requirements for Online Education
• SCO And Novell Continue Argument Over Rights in UNIX Operating System
• Oracle Makes Hostile Bid for PeopleSoft
• DC Circuit Upholds FCC's Number Portability Rules for Wireless Carriers
• DHS Creates Cyber Security Division
• US and Chile Sign FTA
• FTC Opposes Class Action Settlement Involving Software Coupons
• Treasury Department Announces Rules for Incentive Stock Options
• SEC Files Civil Fraud Complaint Against Former Xerox Officers
Alert No. 675, Friday, June 6.
• Bush Issues Spectrum Policy Memorandum
• Reaction to the President's Spectrum Memorandum
• Senators Introduce Bill to Regulate Internet Cigarette Sales
• Senators Introduce Global Internet Freedom Act
• Rep. Langevin Complains About FCC Delay in Releasing Triennial Review Order
Alert No. 674, Thursday, June 5.
• FCC Releases NPRM Regarding Increasing Amount of Unlicensed Spectrum
• Federal Circuit Affirms in Pioneer v. Micro Linear
• Juster Addresses Barriers to High Tech Development in India
• Microsoft Praises Singapore and Chile FTAs
• Court of Appeals Denies Stay in RIAA v. Verizon
Alert No. 673, Wednesday, June 4.
• 4th Circuit Addresses Jurisdiction and Applicable Law in Cyber Squatting Case Involving Foreign Trademarks
• Court Hears Arguments on Bar Associations' Challenges to FTC's Financial Privacy Rules
• 9th Circuit Rules That An Accrued Cause of Action for Copyright Infringement May Be Assigned
• Eighth Circuit Holds Ban on Sales of Violent Video Games to Minors Violates First Amendment
• GAO Report Finds That Computer Weaknesses At IRS Put Taxpayer Data At Risk
Alert No. 672, Tuesday, June 3.
• Supreme Court Reverses in Dastar v. Fox
• Supreme Court Denies Cert in Case Involving R&D Tax Credit for Software Development
• 7th Circuit Rules in Privacy Case
• FCC Announces Revisions to Media Ownership Rules
• Reaction to the FCC's Media Ownership Announcement
Alert No. 671, Monday, June 2.
• California Court Rules on Jurisdiction in Dispute Over Who Pays to Relocate Telecom Facilities Underground
• GAO Reports on Spectrum Management in Defense Acquisitions
• Another Spam Bill Introduced in House
• 4th Circuit Vacates District Court Opinion in Case Affecting Internet Alcohol Sales
Alert No. 670, Friday, May 30.
• Microsoft and AOL Time Warner Settle Antitrust Lawsuit
• Rep. Tauzin Responds to Critics of FCC's Forthcoming Report and Order on Media Ownership
• Novell Asserts Intellectual Property Rights in UNIX Technology
• German Software Group Threatens to Sue SCO Over Linux Claims
• 9th Circuit Addresses Copyright Issues
Alert No. 669, Thursday, May 29.
• FCC to Consider Media Ownership Rules on June 2
• Tax Bill Signed, Without Broadband Expensing Provision or IP Deductions Limitation
• DHS and NIST to Collaborate
• Media Security and Reliability Council Considers Recommendations
• Microsoft Licenses Technology at Issue in Caldera v. IBM
• Bill Would Facilitate Internet Sale of Replacement Contact Lenses
• Rep. Forbes Introduces Bill to Provide Grants for Digital and Wireless Technology for MSIs
• Sen. Breaux Criticizes Award of Government Contract to MCI WorldCom
Alert No. 668, Friday, May 23.
• 4th Circuit Rules in Cybersquatting Case
• 6th Circuit Adopts Standard for Substantial Similarity in Copyright Infringement Cases
• FTC Files Complaint Against Staples Alleging False Statements in Web Site
• FCC Sets Deadlines for Comments in Broadband Over Powerline Inquiry
• FRB Governor Addresses Prospects for Economic Growth
• Rep. Meeks Addresses MCI WorldCom Bankruptcy
• Representatives Address FCC's Failure to Produce Triennial Review Order
Alert No. 667, Thursday, May 22.
• 7th Circuit Addresses Erroneous Copyright Registrations, Assignments, and Works Made for Hire
• 4th Circuit Rules on Relation of Telecom Act to Antitrust Law
• 9th Circuit Rules in Antitrust Case
• Adelstein Addresses Media Ownership
Alert No. 666, Wednesday, May 21.
• Rep. Upton Criticizes FCC for Failure to Release Triennial Review Order
• Senators Hatch and Leahy Introduce Antitrust Bill
• House Financial Services Committee Approves Revised Internet Gambling Bill
• USPTO Releases Report on Technological Systems to Protect Digitized Copyrighted Works
• DARPA Releases TIA Report
Alert No. 665, Tuesday, May 20.
• Supreme Court Denies Cert in Patent Case Involving On Sale Bar
• Supreme Court Denies Cert in Case Involving Personal Jurisdiction in Internet Defamation Suit
• Supreme Court Denies Cert in Pay Phone Antitrust Case
• 1st Circuit Rules E-Rates Subsidies Owed By USAC To Bankrupt Contractor Are Not Part of Estate
• FCC Releases Text of FNPRM on Regulatory Framework for Local Phone Companies Offering LD Service
• Adelstein Addresses Cognitive Radio Technologies
Alert No. 664, Monday, May 19.
• Senate Passes Tax Bill With Broadband Expensing Amendment
• Senate Passes Tax Bill with Limitation of Deduction for Charitable Contributions of Intellectual Property
• Senate Rejects Amendment to Make R&D Tax Credit Permanent
• Senate to Take Up Defense Authorization Bill
• House to Take Up Defense Authorization Bill
• FCC Announces NPRM Regarding Long Distance
• FCC Sets Deadlines for Comments on News Corp.'s DirecTV Deal
• House Committee Holds Hearing on Class Action Reform Bill
Alert No. 663, Friday, May 16.
• FCC Adopts Order Allowing Some Secondary Leasing of Spectrum
• Copps Disputes FCC's Authority to Allow Secondary Leasing of Spectrum
• FCC Adopts NPRM to Increase Unlicensed Spectrum
• FCC Unlicensed Spectrum NPRM and the Jumpstart Broadband Act
• FCC Releases Working Paper on Unlicensed Devices
• Powell Sticks to June 2 Date for Broadcast Ownership Biennial Review
• Representatives Introduce Bill to Update Computer Professionals Exception to Overtime Pay Requirement
Alert No. 662, Thursday, May 15.
• House Judiciary Committee Approves Internet Gambling Bill
• Federal Circuit Rules in StorageTek v. Cisco
• Report Offers Recommendations for Authentication Systems
• PPI Report Addresses Native American IPR and Digital Divide
Alert No. 661, Wednesday, May 14.
• Adelstein and Copps Seek Delay of FCC Action on Media Ownership
• Legislators Introduce Bills to Establish 35% National Broadcast Ownership Cap
• Antitrust Division Has No Present Intention to Challenge Chemical Industry Database
• FBI Legal Memorandum Addresses Questions Related to Government Use of Private Databases
Alert No. 660, Tuesday, May 13.
• Court Upholds FCC Order Allowing Public TV to Offer Subscription Services on Excess Digital Capacity
• FCC Receives Few Comments on AOL Time Warner Petition
• Rep. Rush Introduces Telecom Diversity Bill in House
Alert No. 659, Monday, May 12.
• 1st Circuit Holds Monitoring Web Site Traffic Can Violate Wiretap Act
• Senate Passes Amendments to FISA
• Murdoch Defends News Corp.'s DirecTV Deal
• House Members Question Powell Regarding Internet and Cable News Media
• Donaldson Blames Internet and Cable News Media for Disillusionment with Wall Street
Alert No. 658, Friday, May 9.
• FCC Announces Agenda for May 15 Meeting
• FCC to Consider Further NPRM Regarding Spectrum Markets
• Bush Names Members of Info Tech Advisory Panel
• Senate Democrats Continue Filibuster of Owen and Estrada
Alert No. 657, Thursday, May 8.
• House Passes Nanotech R&D Bill
• Abernathy Advocates Reliance on Market and Criticizes Triennial Review Order
• DOJ Addresses First Amendment and Antitrust Enforcement Against Newspaper and Web Publishers
• FCC Fines Qwest for Providing In Region InterLATA Service
• WTO Authorizes FSC/ETI Related Tariffs
Alert No. 656, Wednesday, May 7.
• House Crime Subcommittee Approves Internet Gambling Bill
• House Crime Subcommittee Holds Hearing on DOJ Reauthorization
• Murdoch to Testify at House Hearing
• House to Consider Nanotechnology R&D Act
• NIST Announces ATP Grants
• Supreme Court Rules Fraud Actions Against Telemarketers Do Not Violate First Amendment
• Bush and Goh Sign US Singapore FTA
• USTR Releases Annual Special 301 Report
• FCC Sets Deadlines for Comments in NOI Re Interference Immunity Performance Specifications
• FCC Releases NOI on Broadband Over Power Lines
• FCC Releases E-Rate Order and NPRM
Alert No. 655, Monday, May 5.
• Comment Period Closes in FCC's Plug and Play Cable Compatibility Rulemaking Proceeding
• Senate Passes Technology Grant Bill
• USTR Proposes to Liberalize Trade in Telecommunication and Information Services
• Sen. Ensign Introduces Bill to Impose Moratorium on Mandating Stock Option Expensing
Alert No. 654, Friday, May 2.
• Attorney General Releases Annual FISA Report
• House Science Committee Approves Bill to Authorize Funding for Nanotech Research
• Senate Commerce Committee Holds Hearing on Nanotechnology
• PPI Recommends Network Government
• Bush Signs PROTECT Act
• House Subcommittee Holds Hearing on Internet Gambling Bills
Alert No. 653, Thursday, May. 1.
• House Commerce Committee Passes Spectrum Relocation Bill
• USPTO Proposes Inter Partes Reexamination Rule Changes
• Snow Wants Iraq to Focus on Intellectual Property Rights
• GAO Recommends Integration of Watch List Data
• 6th Circuit Rules Cable Act Provides No Private Right of Action for Landowners
Alert No. 652, Wednesday, April 30.
• Supreme Court Denies Certiorari in Internet Jurisdiction Case
• Virginia Makes Sending Certain Spam a Felony
• FTC Finds that Two Thirds of Spam Messages Contain False Information
• House Commerce Committee Subpoenas USAC for E-Rate Records
Alert No. 651, Tuesday, April 29.
• Supreme Court Requests SG Brief in Cable Franchise Transfer Case
• FRB Governor Offers Economic Analysis of Tech Investment
• Export Regulation Official Addresses Hong Kong Technology Trade
• Commerce Department Official Discusses Policies Affecting Broadband Deployment
• Powell Discusses History of FCC Regulation
Alert No. 650, Monday, April 28.
• District Court Holds No Contributory or Vicarious Infringement by Grokster or Streamcast P2P Networks
Alert No. 649, Friday, April 25.
• District Court Rules That A DMCA § 512(h) Subpoena for the Identity of an P2P Infringer Does not Violate the Constitution
Alert No. 648, Thursday, April 24.
• FCC Announces Order and NPRM Regarding E-Rate Subsidies
• FCC Announces NOI Regarding Broadband Over Powerlines
• FCC Announces Changes to Satellite Licensing System
Alert No. 647, Wednesday, April 23.
• 10th Circuit Rules on Civil Liability for Violation of Wiretap Act
• Microsoft to Revise Licensing Terms for Server Operating System Products
Alert No. 646, Tuesday, April 22.
• FCC Announces Agenda for April 23 Meeting
• DOJ Files Brief in Support of RIAA in Verizon Subpoena Matter
• EPIC Asserts Amazon Product Reviews Violate COPPA
• E-Government Act Goes Into Effect
Alert No. 645, Wednesday, April 16.
• DHS Begins Rulemaking Proceeding on FOIA Exemption for Critical Infrastructure Information
• Sen. McCain Introduces Bill to Create Spectrum Relocation Fund
• Microsoft Settles Florida Antitrust Class Action Litigation
• FCC Commissioner Abernathy Addresses Media Ownership
• FCC Approves Three Qwest Long Distance Applications
Alert No. 644, Tuesday, April 15.
• Panel Addresses PATRIOT Act and Civil Liberties
• FCC Approves SBC's Nevada Long Distance Application
• WorldCom Files Plan of Reorganization with Bankruptcy Court
• Tom Ridge Addresses Privacy and Government Information
• District Court Issues Opinion On Class Certification in Microsoft Antitrust Proceeding
Alert No. 643, Monday, April 14.
• Senators Burns and Wyden Re-Introduce Can Spam Bill
• Rep. Putnam Addresses Broadband Policy
• GM, Hughes and News Corps Announce Directv Deal
• Legislators Urge Bush Not to Delay US Chile FTA
• Rep. Tauzin Presses SEC for Documents Regarding Accounting Practices of Telecom Companies
Alert No. 642, Friday, April 11.
• House and Senate Pass Conference Report on Child Protection Bill
• Treasury Official Addresses Information and Identity Theft
• 6th Circuit Rules On Trademark Infringement And Post Domain Portion of URLs
• Legislators Pressure FCC on Media Ownership Rules
Alert No. 641, Thursday, April 10.
• FTC Seeks Budget Increase
• 7th Circuit Rules on Jurisdiction Over Appeals in Patent Cases
• House Subcommittee Approves Spectrum Relocation Fund Bill
• House Science Committee Holds Hearing on Nanotechnology
• Commerce Department Official Addresses Nanotechnology
• Fed, Treasury & SEC Report on Resiliency of Financial System to Terrorist Attacks
Alert No. 640, Wednesday, April 9.
• 4th Circuit Holds North Carolina Ban On Internet Wine Sales Is Unconstitutional
• DC Circuit Vacates FCC's Slamming Fines
• Intel and Via Settle Patent Litigation
Alert No. 639, Tuesday, April 8.
• FRB Vice Chairman Ferguson Addresses Business Method Patents
• 9th Circuit Rules in Reciprocal Compensation Case
Alert No. 638, Monday, April 7.
• Greenspan Addresses Intellectual Property Laws
• House and Senate Conferees to Meet on Child Protection Bill
• AOL Time Warner Petitions FCC for Relief From Instant Messaging Restriction
• Federal Claims Court Rules in Cell Phone Lotteries Case
Alert No. 637, Friday, April 4.
• House CIIP Subcommittee Holds Hearing on USPTO Fees
• USTR Releases US Chile FTA
• House Financial Services Committee Holds Hearing on Information Security
• Greenspan Addresses Role of Information Technology in Financial Education
• FCC Fines Broadcaster for Indecency, Threatens Revocation
Alert No. 636, Thursday, April 3.
• GAO Reports on Cyber Security at Four Agencies
• USTR Releases Report on Market Access in Foreign Telecom Markets
• GAO Reports on U.S. Efforts to Monitor China's WTO Compliance
• FCC Releases NPRM Regarding Re-examination of ITFS Rules
Alert No. 635, Wednesday, April 2.
• House Subcommittee Holds Hearing on Bill to Make Internet Tax Moratorium Permanent
• House Subcommittee Holds Hearing on Bill to Replace CARPs
• House Judiciary Committee Seeks More Information From DOJ Regarding USA Patriot Act Implementation
• Legislators Urge FCC to Amend Broadcast Ownership Rules by June
Alert No. 634, Tuesday, April 1.
• USTR Submits Proposal to WTO Regarding Trade in Services
• Supreme Court Denies Cert in Network Elements Case
• 9th Circuit Rules on Antitrust Immunity of ILECs
Alert No. 633, Monday, March 31.
• Tether States that DARPA's Total Information Awareness Project Does Not Data Mine
• Tether Addresses TIA and Other Defense Info Tech Projects
• Treasury Official Addresses Anti Money Laundering Compliance and Information Technologies
• House Passes HR 1104
• Powell Addresses Media Concentration
• FCC Reports on Consumer Complaints and Inquiries
• 5th Circuit Rules in Texas Coalition v. FCC
• Chairman and Members of Cyber Security Subcommittee Named
Alert No. 632, Thursday, March 27.
• FCC Announces Appointments to Office of General Counsel
• Do Not Call Registry Compliance Required On October 1
• DOJ Requires Univision to Divest Interests in Entravision Before Acquiring Hispanic Broadcasting
• Bush Issues Executive Order Regarding Classification of Infrastructure Information
Alert No. 631, Wednesdy, March 26.
• House Subcommittee Holds Hearing On Commercial Spectrum Enhancement Act
• Rules Committee Adopts Rule for HR 1104
• AEI Brookings Report Addresses Financial Privacy
Alert No. 630, Tuesday, March 25.
• Supreme Court Denies Certiorari in WorldCom v. USTA
• 8th Circuit Upholds TCPA
• 5th Circuit Discusses Copyright and Divorce Jurisdiction
• 4th Circuit Rules in Copyright Registration Case
Alert No. 629, Monday, March 24.
• Rep. Upton Introduces Spectrum Relocation Bill
• U.S. & Australia Complete First Round of FTA Negotiations
• Administration Will Work With Congress on EAA
• FTC/DOJ Oppose Restraints on E-Commerce Posed by Unlicensed Practice of Law Rules
• Rep. Boehlert Addresses Math and Science Education
Alert No. 628, Friday, March 21.
• Bush Picks Frank Libutti for Key Tech Position at DHS
• FCC Releases Report on Telecommunications Industry Revenues
• Copyright Office to Hold Hearings on DMCA Anti Circumvention Exemptions
Alert No. 627, Thursday, March 20.
• FCC Approves Verizon Long Distance Applications for Maryland, WV & DC
• Verizon Says It Has Broadband Deployment Plans
• Adelstein Names Assistants
• Deputy Assistant USTR Testifies Re Lack of Transparency and IPR Enforcement in China
Alert No. 626, Wednesday, March 19.
• Senate Committee Holds Hearing on Internet Gambling Bill
• RIAA Notifies 300 Corporations of P2P Infringement on Their Networks
• Rosen Addresses Enforcement of Music Copyrights
• Senate Finance Committee Addresses IT Modernization at IRS
Alert No. 625, Tuesday, March 18.
• Rep. Conyers Introduces Bill to Delay Internet Gambling Legislation
• Rep. Dreier Introduces Bill to Shorten Tech Depreciation Periods
• Rep. Tancredo Introduces Bill to End FCC Schools and Libraries Program
• 2nd Circuit Vacates Rule 11 Sanction of Law Firm for Submitting False Affidavit in Trademark Case
Alert No. 624, Monday, March 17.
• FCC Announces NOI Re Receiver Performance Standards
• FCC Announces NPRM To Provide Flexibility To Users of MMDS/ITFS Spectrum
• NIST Releases Report on Facial Recognition Technology
• Rep. Tauzin Writes Powell Re Waste Fraud & Abuse In E-Rate Program
• 9th Circuit Applies Doctrine of Merger in Copyright Case
Alert No. 623, Friday, March 14.
• Bush Fills More Tech Positions at DHS
• Leahy Introduces Bill to Limit FOIA Exemption for Critical Infrastructure Information
• House Committee Approves Internet Gambling Bill
• Senate Committee Approves Technology Grant Program for Minority Serving Institutions
Alert No. 622, Thursday, March 13.
• Bush Picks Pate for Antitrust AAG
• Tauzin Writes Powell Re Cable Modem Service NPRM
• Rep. Thomas Writes Colleagues Re FSC Dispute
• Sen. Lugar Introduces Bill to Extend NTR to Russia
• Sen. Dayton Introduces Bill to Regulate Computer Technical Support and Spam
Alert No. 621, Wednesday, March 12.
• 7th Circuit Rules in ITOFCA v. MetaTrans
• House Subcommittee Holds Hearing on HR 1161
• Zoellick Announces Appointments at USTR
Alert No. 620, Tuesday, March 11.
• Supreme Court Grants Certiorari in Verizon v. Trinko
• Supreme Court Denies Cert in Natron v. STMicroelectronics
• DOD Establishes Technology and Privacy Advisory Committee
Alert No. 619, Monday, March 10.
• FCC Announces Agenda of March 13 Meeting
• Senators Introduce Bill to Allow Electronic Coverage of Court Proceedings
• Reps. Goodlatte and Boucher Re-Introduce Class Action Fairness Act
• Third Circuit Rules in COPA Case
• USTR Releases US Singapore FTA
Alert No. 618, Thursday, March 6.
• Supreme Court Rules in Trademark Dilution Case
• Adelstein Discusses Universal Service Support for Broadband Internet Services
• Rep. Lofgren Re-Introduces Digital Fair Use Bill
• Bush Nominates Chertoff for Third Circuit
Alert No. 617, Wednesday, March 5.
• Bush Administration Announces Digital Freedom Initiative
• Rep. Stearns Introduces Media Ownership Bill
• Rep. Rohrabacher Introduces Bill to End USPTO Fee Diversion
• Sen. Craig Introduces Bill to Block Hynix Chips
Alert No. 616, Tuesday, March 4.
• Rep. Pence Introduces Truth in Domain Names Act
• Rep. Stearns Introduces Bill to Preempt State Regulation of Digital Commercial Transactions
• Solicitor General to Participate in Oral Argument in Lanham Act Case
• GAO Reports on Internet Based Training at DOD
• GAO Report on Cyber Threats to Financial Services Sector
Alert No. 615, Monday, March 3.
• Senate Commerce Committee Examines E911 Implementation
• Virginia Court Rules on Duty of Computer Consultant to Placement Agency
• Bush Amends Executive Orders Pertaining to Cyber Security
• Hearing On Triennial Review Order Serves As Forum For Other Issues
Alert No. 614, Friday, February 28.
• House Commerce Committee Holds Hearing on FCC Triennial Review Order
• Senate Finance Committee Passes Trade Bill
• Sen. Grassley Outlines Tech Agenda for Senate Finance Committee
Alert No. 613, Thursday, February 27.
• Mankiw to Replace Hubbard at Council of Economic Advisors
• DOJ Withholds Support for SBC's Long Distance Application
• DOJ Seizes Web Site In Copyright Case
• USTR Testifies On Administration Trade Agenda
Alert No. 612, Wednesday, February 26.
• Former Qwest Officers Indicted
• SEC Sues Former Qwest Officers
• Senators Release Report on FISA Implementation
• Senators Introduce Domestic Surveillance Oversight Act
Alert No. 611, Tuesday, February 25.
• Senate Passes PROTECT Act
• Valenti Addresses Morality of Copyright Infringement
Alert No. 610, Monday, February 24.
• Third Circuit Reverses in Domain Name Arbitration Case
• USTR Discusses Trip to China
• Bush Criticizes Democratic Filibuster of Estrada
Alert No. 609, Friday, February 21.
• FCC Announces UNE Report and Order
• FCC Order Offers Broadband Regulatory Relief
• FCC Announces Decision on Switching
• Commentary: Republicans Split On FCC UNE Order
• Congressional Reaction To FCC UNE Order
• DOJ Recommends Approval of Qwest 271 Applications in Three States
Alert No. 608, Thursday, February 20.
• USTR Zoellick Discusses IPR With PR China Officials
• SEC Files Fraud Complaint Against Spammer
• Representatives Discuss Cyber Security and IPR with EU Officials
Alert No. 607, Wednesday, February 19.
• New Hampshire Court Rules on Tort Liability of Information Brokers
• ACLU Seeks Supreme Court Review of FISA Procedure
Alert No. 606, Tuesday, February 18.
• Representatives Introduce Bill To Authorize Nanotech R&D Funding
• Representatives Introduce Bill to Exempt Lawyers from GLB Privacy Provisions
• Federal Circuit Rules in Altiris v. Symantec
• DC Circuit Revises Opinion in 21st Century Telesis v. FCC
• Federal Circuit Sanctions Appellant for Frivolous Appeal
Alert No. 605, Monday, February 17.
• Bush Administration Releases Final Cyber Security Plan
• Sen. Edwards Proposes Homeland Intelligence Agency
• Senate Passes Do Not Call Implementation Act
• Federal Circuit Affirms in Intel v. VIA
• Third Circuit Rules in Cell Tower Section 332 Dispute
• 3rd Circuit Rules on Retroactivity of Cyber Squatting Act
Alert No. 604, Friday, February 14.
• FCC Announces UWB Report and Order and Further NPRM
• 10th Circuit Holds No Federal Subject Matter Jurisdiction in Railroad Rights of Way Case
• House and Senate Pass FY 2003 Appropriation Package With TIA Amendment
• Don Evans Proposes Combining Tech Related Entities at Commerce Department
Alert No. 603, Thursday, February 13.
• House Homeland Security Committee Members Named
• Grand Jury Returns DMCA Indictment
• FBI Asks People Not To Hack Iraq
• Commerce Department Official Predicts Few Digital Content Bills Will Pass in 2003
• FRB Vice Chairman Reviews Y2K Remediation Efforts
• NTIA Director Writes State Department Re ENUM
Alert No. 602, Wednesday, February 12.
• USTR Makes Proposals for FTAA
• Greenspan Discusses Role of Flexibility, IT & Innovation in Economy
• 9th Circuit Affirms in Oracle v. Falotti
• 9th Circuit Rules in Challenge to AT&T Consumer Services Agreement
Alert No. 601, Tuesday, February 11.
• Rogovin Named FCC General Counsel
• Ashcroft Addresses Information and Law Enforcement
• European Commission Proposes To Create A Cyber Security Agency
• CO to Consider Programs Embedded in Printers and Cartridges In DMCA Exemptions Rulemaking
Alert No. 600, Monday, February 10.
• FCC To Announce Unbundled Network Elements Order
• PPI Recommends Congressional Legislation to Remove Barriers to Internet Wine Sales
• Defense Department Announces Total Information Awareness Oversight Boards
• Hewitt Pate Addresses International Antitrust
• Ninth Circuit Rules In Online Vote Trading Case
• Sen. Grassley Files Class Action Reform Bill
• White House Press Office Gives Advice About Cyber Attacks
Alert No. 599, Thursday, February 6.
• EPIC Argues Black Marker Redaction Inappropriate under FOIA for Electronic Records
• California Court Rules on Electronic Discovery
• U.S. and India Sign Statement of Principles for Tech Commerce
Alert No. 598, Wednesday, February 5.
• Administration Officials Discuss Technology Related Budget Items
• GAO Reports on Government Use of Smart Cards
• Court Holds Export License Application Information is Exempt from FOIA Disclosure
Alert No. 597, Tuesday, February 4.
• Administration Releases FTC Budget Estimate
• Administration Releases Commerce Department Budget Estimates
• Administration Releases FCC Budget Estimates
• President Bush Releases Proposed Budget for FY 2004
• FCC and NTIA Execute Memorandum of Understanding Re Spectrum
• Representatives Write FASB Re Accounting for Employee Stock Options
Alert No. 596, Monday, February 3.
• Representatives Introduce Bills to Make R&D Tax Credit Permanent
• Bill Would Require the Government to Create a National Electronic File Format
• Rep. Chabot Introduces Federal Agency Privacy Bill
• Representatives Introduce Bill to Block FCC Digital TV Tuner Mandates
• 6th Circuit Rules in APJ v. Philips
• DC Circuit Rules in 21st Century Telesis v. FCC
• DC Circuit Adopts "Somewhere Between" Standard in Ruggiero Case
• Law Professor Submits Apocalyptic Declaration in RIAA v. Verizon
Alert No. 595, Friday, January 31.
• Sen. McCain Introduces Telecom Diversity Bill
• Senate Commerce Committee Holds Hearing on Radio Ownership
• Verizon Seeks Stay of Order Regarding RIAA Subpoena
• GAO Reports on Government Management Challenges and Program Risks
Alert No. 594, Thursday, January 30.
• Federal Circuit Rules in Rambus v. Infineon
• House Commerce Committee Members Write FCC in Opposition to UNE-P
• Rep. Tauzin Discusses Possible Legislation
• House Commerce Committee Passes Do Not Call Registry Bill
• SEC Files Complaint Against KPMG and Partners Re Xerox Audits
• FCC Amends Cable Home Wiring Rules
Alert No. 593, Wednesday, January 29.
• Sen. Grassley Identifies Pending Tax Issues
• 1st Circuit Addresses Scraper Robots and Section 1030
• First Circuit Rules on Section 252(e)(6) Jurisdiction
• 4th Circuit Certifies Questions to State Court in Challenge to Net Smut Statute
Alert No. 592, Tuesday, January 28.
• Supreme Court Rules in NextWave Case
• DOJ Files Antitrust Complaint Against Newspaper and Web Site Publishers for Allocation of Markets
• DOJ Recommends Approval of Verizon Long Distance Applications in MD, WV & DC
• David Sibley Named Head of Economic Analysis at Antitrust Division
• FCC Announces Digitial TV NPRM
• Sen. Grassley Addresses Trade Agenda
Alert No. 591, Monday, January 27.
• Cisco Sues Huawei and FutureWei
• Grand Jury Returns Wire Act Indictment for Listening in on Conference Calls
• House Members Write FCC Re UNE Triennial Review and Wireline Broadband Proceedings
Alert No. 590, Friday, January 24.
• Senate Approves Total Information Awareness Amendment
• Another Group Formed to Oppose Copyright Protection Technology Mandates
• 4th Circuit Rules in Cyber Squatting Case
Alert No. 589, Thursday, January 23.
• Commissioner Martin Addresses TV Programming
• Sen. Grassley Writes FBI Re Ptech Software
• Appeals Courts Discuss Internet Use in Sentencing Cases
Alert No. 588, Wednesday, January 22.
• DARPA States FBI Is Involved in Total Information Awareness Program
• District Court Rules DMCA Subpoenas Available for P2P Infringers
Alert No. 587, Tuesday, January 21.
• Sen. Burns Announces Tech Agenda
• Sen. Burns and Sen. Baucus Introduce Broadband Expensing Bill
• Sen. Edwards Introduces Federal Cyber Security Bill
• Summary of Tech Related Bills In 108th Congress (Introduced 1/7-1/20)
Alert No. 586, Monday, January 20.
• Sen. Boxer and Sen. Allen Introduce WiFi Spectrum Bill
• Sen. Allen Introduces Bill to Create Technology Grant Program for MSIs
• Sen. Feingold Introduces Data Mining Moratorium Bill
• Sen. Corzine Introduces Bill to Prohibit Use of Cell Phones While Driving
Alert No. 585, Friday, January 17.
• Commissioners Address Media Ownership
• 4th Circuit Rules First Amendment Includes Right to Receive Information
• IRS Launches Free File
• District Court Issues Ruling in Total Information Awareness FOIA Suit
• WTO Appellate Body Holds Byrd Amendment Inconsistent With WTO Agreements
Alert No. 584, Thursday, January 16.
• Supreme Court Upholds CTEA in Eldred v. Ashcroft
• FCC Holds "State of the FCC" Meeting
• Senators Write AG Ashcroft Re Data Mining by DOJ
• Groups Write House Armed Service Committee Re Total Information Awareness
• CompTel Releases UNE-P Report
• USPTO Orders Reexamination of NTP Patents
Alert No. 583, Wednesday, January 15.
• BIS Amends Rules for Export of Microprocessors
• Software, Computer and Music Companies Reach Agreement on Digital Copyright Issues
• GAO Reports on Homeland Security IT Issues
Alert No. 582, Tuesday, January 14.
• Supreme Court Returns from Recess
• Supreme Court Requests Solicitor General Brief in Intel v. AMD
• Supreme Court Denies Certiorari in Personal Jurisdiction Case
• E-Commerce Proponent to Become Solicitor General of Texas
• Consumer Groups Write Senate Commerce Committee Re Regulation of Bells
• Sen. Grassley Writes FBI Re FISA Warrants
• Reps. Boucher and Doolittle Introduce Digital Fair Use Bill
• Sen. Edwards Proposes Including Internet in Emergency Warning System
• Rep. Honda Introduces Nanotechnology Bill
Alert No. 581, Monday, January 13.
• District Court Squeezes Sharman on Internet Based Personal Jurisdiction
• 11th Circuit En Banc Reverses Panel in Reciprocal Compensation Case
• House Organizational News
• Rep. Issa Introduces Amendment to Plant Patent Act
• Bush To Nominate McQueary for Science and Technology Position at DHS
• FCC Seeks Comments on Cable TV Plug and Play MOU
Alert No. 580, Friday, January 10.
• Senate Organizational News
• Rep. Cox and Sen. Wyden Introduce Bill to Make Permanent Net Tax Ban
Alert No. 579, Thursday, January 9.
• House Organizational News
• California Republicans Dominate Committee Chairmanships
• Chris Cox to Chair New House Homeland Security Committee
• Rep. Leach Introduces Internet Gambling Bill
• USTR Launches FTA Negotiations with Central American Countries
• SGI Pleads Guilty to Selling HPCs to Russian Nuclear Weapons Lab
• Condor Systems Charged With Making False Statements About Software in Export Application
• FCC to Hold Meeting on January 15
Alert No. 578, Wednesday, January 8.
• Bush Names Three to New Department of Homeland Security
• Bush Proposes Changes to Tax Laws
• Bush Nominates Judges
Alert No. 577, Tuesday, January 7.
• DOJ Opposes CCIA and SIIA Attempt to Appeal in Microsoft Antitrust Case
• Adelstein Addresses Copyright and Media Ownership
• Commentary: Adelstein Revives Red Lion
• Federal Circuit Rules in Amgen v. TKT
Alert No. 576, Monday, January 6.
• 9th Circuit Punts in Kremen v. Network Solutions
• Court Allows EPIC Discovery on Whether OHS is Agency for FOIA Purposes
• 7th Circuit Applies Ashcroft v. Free Speech Coalition
• FRB Governor Addresses Stock Market Bubbles
• MSC.Software Seeks FTC Approval of Divestiture to EDS
Alert No. 575, Friday, January 3.
• FCC Releases Annual MVPD Report
• FTC Charges Quicken Loans with Violation of FCRA
• FCC Issues Order in Dominant Non-Dominant Proceeding
See also, Story Titles from July - December, 2002.