Story Titles from the Tech Law Journal Daily E-Mail Alert, by Issue.
July - December, 2004
Alert No. 1,047, Thursday, December 30.
• Powell Says FCC Plans to Auction 3G Spectrum in Summer of 2006
• FCC Publishes Notice in Federal Register of Report & Order Re Reaccommodation of Government Users in the 1710-1755 MHz band
• 6th Circuit Applies Noerr Pennington Doctrine in Dispute Between Cable Operators
Alert No. 1,046, Wednesday, December 29.
• 7th Circuit Holds There is No Duty to Defend and Indemnify Junk Faxer Under Advertising Injury and Privacy Violation Clause
• Financial Regulators Publish Notice of Final Rule Implementing Section 216 of FACT Act
Alert No. 1,045, Tuesday, December 28.
• Bush Signs Telecom Bill
• FCC Increases Nextel's Credit by $452 Million in Spectrum Swap
• DHS's National Infrastructure Advisory Council Meeting to Cover Cyber Security
• FCC Sets Comment Deadlines on 2FNPRM Regarding Secondary Markets for Spectrum
Alert No. 1,044, Monday, December 27.
• Bush to Renominate 20 for Federal Judgeships
Alert No. 1,043, Thursday, December 23.
• European Court of First Instance Denies Microsoft's Application for Interim Measures
• FTC, AIPLA, and National Academies to Host Series of Public Meetings on Patent Reform
• Bob the Beerman Loses Lanham Act Appeal
Alert No. 1,042, Wednesday, December 22.
• 3rd Circuit Opines on Copyright Originality Requirement and Rules Based Expression
• EPIC Urges FTC to Open Investigation on Data Products and FRCA
• FCC Publishes Respondent's Briefs in Pending Cases
Alert No. 1,041, Monday, December 20.
• Reaction to FCC Unbundling Order
• AEI Panel Addresses Telecom Regulation
• BellSouth CEO Ackerman Offers Recommendations for Next Telecom Act
• 11th Circuit Holds Trade Secrets Lawsuit Not Covered by Advertising Injury Clause
Alert No. 1,040, Friday, December 17.
• DOJ and FTC Warn Massachusetts Bar That Its Drafts Rules Restrict Legal Software
• FCC Adopts Order and NPRM Regarding Air Ground Service in the 800 MHz Band
• FCC Expands Rural Telemedicine Subsidy Program
• DOJ Charges Company with Universal Service Subsidy Fraud
• 5th Circuit Rules on Jurisdiction, Removal and Remand in Dispute Over Laying of Fiber Optic Cable
Alert No. 1,039, Thursday, December 16.
• FCC Adopts Unbundling Order
• FCC Announces NPRM on Cellphones in Airplanes
• FCC Adopts UWB Second Report & Order
• 7th Circuit Rules on Removal of WorldCom Related Securities Case
• 1st Circuit Affirms Insider Trading Judgment
Alert No. 1,038, Wednesday, December 15.
• USTR Releases 3rd Annual Report on WTO Compliance by PR China
• Supreme Court Denies Cert in Copyright and Reverse Passing Off Case
• Federal Circuit Rules in Blackberry Patent Infringement Case
Alert No. 1,037, Tuesday, December 14.
• President Signs CREATE Act
• Senate Approves Video Voyeurism Prevention Act
• Oracle Finally to Acquire PeopleSoft
Alert No. 1,036, Monday, December 13.
• Supreme Court Grants Certiorari in P2P Case
• Supreme Court Grants Certiorari in Takings Clause Case
• 9th Circuit Decisions Scrutinized by Supreme Court
• Senates Approves Anti-counterfeiting Amendments Act and Fraudulent Online Identity Sanctions Act
• Senate Approves Commercial Space Launch Bill
• House Resolution Would Require that Bills and Amendments Be Published on Internet 24 Hours Before Consideration
Alert No. 1,035, Friday, December 10.
• Bush Signs Omnibus Appropriations Bill
• Congress Approves Telecom Bill
• Baucus Criticizes Administration Failure to Negotiate Free Trade Agreements in Asia
• Zoellick Discusses Tech, TPA and Trade Agreements
• DC Circuit Rules in EMR v. FCC
• SEC Official Suggests Role for Web and E-Mail in Mutual Fund Disclosure Regime
Alert No. 1,034, Thursday, December 9.
• Supreme Court Rules on Fair Use in Trademark Case
• FCC Releases Agenda for December 15 Meeting
Alert No. 1,033, Wednesday, December 8.
• FTC Settles With Alyon Technologies
• SEC's Glassman Addresses Use of Internet in Securities Offerings
• Groups Complain to FTC About CRAs' Design of Web Site for Free Credit Reports
• 7th Circuit Rules on Jurisdictional Issues in IP Case
Alert No. 1,032, Tuesday, December 7.
• Supreme Court Denies Local Governments' Cross Petition for Cert in Brand X Case
• Supreme Court Denies Certiorari in Pruitt v. Comcast
• Supreme Court Reverses in San Diego v. Roe
• Powell Urges Senate to Approve Telecom Bill
• Sen. Wyden to Leave Commerce Committee
Alert No. 1,031, Monday, December 6.
• Bush Signs Internet Tax Nondiscrimination Act
• Coalition Seeks Passage of Composite Bill Regarding Spectrum, E911 and E-rate
Alert No. 1,030, Friday, December 3.
• Supreme Court Grants Certiorari in Brand X Case
• DOJ Brings More DRAM Price Fixing Charges
• DOJ Charges Former McAfee Executive with Insider Trading for Exercising Stock Options
• WTO Director General Mentions PR China's Counterfeiting and Piracy
Alert No. 1,029, Thursday, December 2.
• Appeals Court Finds MPAA Not Liable for Good Faith Exercise of DMCA Notice and Takedown Procedure
• 7th Circuit Affirms Judgment for New York Times in Defamation Case
Alert No. 1,028, Wednesday, December 1.
• Bush Issues Memorandum Regarding Spectrum Management
• SBC Files Tariff with FCC on Service for VOIP Providers
• Tom Ridge Resigns
Alert No. 1,027, Tuesday, Nov. 30.
• Supreme Court Declines to Hear Several Tech Related Cases
• Appeals Court Issues Opinion Regarding Compelled Speech
Alert No. 1,026, Monday, Nov. 29.
• FTC Finds No COPPA Violation by Amazon
• FRB Governor Reviews Role of IT in Economy
Alert No. 1,025, Wednesday, Nov. 24.
• House Approves Bill that Includes the Commercial Spectrum Enhancement Act
• House Approves Commercial Space Launch Bill
• House Approves CREATE Act Again
• Appropriations Bill Includes SHVERA
• Greenspan Discusses Role of Intellectual Property in Trade
Alert No. 1,024, Tuesday, Nov. 23.
• Senate Approves Copyright Bill
• FCC Releases Study on Cable and Satellite A La Carte Pricing
• FCC to Fine Seller of Unauthorized Radio Transmitters
• New European Commissioners Take Office
Alert No. 1,023, Monday, Nov. 22.
• Congress Approves Omnibus Appropriations Bill
• Appropriations Bill Provides $1.54 Billion for USPTO, Temporary Fee Increases, But No End to Diversion
• Appropriations Bill Provides $281 Million for FCC
• Appropriations Bill Includes H1B and L1 Visa Provisions
• Bush Addresses Trade at APEC Conference
Alert No. 1,022, Friday, Nov. 19.
• Senate May Consider Intellectual Property Bill
• Congress Considers Video Voyeurism Bill
Alert No. 1,021, Thursday, Nov. 18.
• House Approves Copyright Royalty and Distribution Act
• House Approves DOE Supercomputing Bill
• DOJ Closes Investigation of Merger of Paging Companies
Alert No. 1,020, Wednesday, Nov. 17.
• Opponents of IPPA Urge Delay Until 109th Congress
• Summary of Briefs in MGM v. Grokster
Alert No. 1,019, Tuesday, Nov. 16.
• Amicus Brief Argues that Wiretap Act Covers Accessing Stored E-Mail
• Sen. Leahy Files Amicus Brief in US v. Councilman
Alert No. 1,018, Monday, Nov. 15.
• Novell Sues Microsoft
• FCC Releases Vonage VOIP Order
• USTR Issues Statement on China's Currency
Alert No. 1,017, Friday, Nov. 12.
• Sen. Leahy Comments on Gonzales Nomination
• FCC Releases MO&O Re Rules for 4.9 GHz Band
• District Court Holds Copyright Registration Invalid on Technicality
Alert No. 1,016, Thursday, Nov. 11.
• PeopleSoft Board Rejects Oracle's $24 Per Share Offer
• WTO Panel Instructs Congress to Amend Wire Act to Legalize Internet Gambling
• FCC to Collect More Data with Form 477
• Reaction to the FCC's Vonage Order
• Bush Picks Alberto Gonzales to be Next Attorney General
Alert No. 1,015, Wednesday, Nov. 10.
• FCC Adopts Order on Vonage's VOIP Petition
• 9th Circuit Construes Meaning of Identity Theft for Sentencing Purposes
• GAO Reports That Governments Make Social Security Numbers Available for Identity Thieves
• Attorney General Ashcroft Resigns
Alert No. 1,014, Tuesday, Nov. 9.
• Microsoft Reaches Agreements with Novell and CCIA
• PFF Urges Supreme Court to Grant Certiorari in MGM v. Grokster
• Supreme Court Denies Cert in Larimer v. IBM
Alert No. 1,013, Monday, Nov. 8.
• Cato Panel Criticizes Spyware Bills
• Rep. Oxley Asks for GAO Report on E-Commerce and Real Estate Services
• 9th Circuit Construes Copyright Restoration Section
Alert No. 1,012, Friday, Nov. 5.
• MPAA Members to File Lawsuits Against Individual Infringers
• Appeals Court Holds No Infringement by GU87 Phone
• Bush Discusses Plans for Second Term
• 6th Circuit Vacates Preliminary Injunction in DMCA Case
Alert No. 1,011, Thursday, Nov. 4.
• FCC Announces Agenda for November 9 Meeting
• FCC Fines ACR Electronics for Marketing Uncertified RF Devices
• Sen. Grassley Addresses Trade Promotion Authority and Other Trade Issues
• Democrats May Lose Seat on Senate Finance Committee
• Several Free Trade Advocates Will Not Return for the 109th Congress
Alert No. 1,010, Wednesday, Nov. 3.
• Summary of the Senate Elections
• Summary of the House Elections
Alert No. 1,009, Tuesday, Nov. 2.
• Supreme Court Denies Cert in Challenge to USPTO Ad Campaign
• 1st Circuit Rules in Contract Case Involving Effect of E-Mail Messages
• FCC to Host Symposium on Numbering System and VOIP
Alert No. 1,008, Monday, Nov. 1.
• AOL and Others File Complaints Against Spammers
• 2nd Circuit Rules in Motorola v. Uzan
• European Commission Clears Oracle Acquisition of PeopleSoft
• Monti Addresses Competition Policy
• Assistant USTR Addresses IPR and Europe
• Donaldson Addresses Why Markets Are More Resilient Today
• FCC Concurs With Selection of Transition Administrator Team to Oversee Reconfiguration of 800 MHz Band
Alert No. 1,007, Friday, Oct. 29.
• 6th Circuit Rules in Cyber Squatting Case
• Music Companies Settle Puretunes Infringement Case
• CNET Publishes Tech Related Voting Records of Senators and Representatives
Alert No. 1,006, Thursday, Oct. 28.
• Powell Addresses Spectrum Policy and Proceedings
• FCC Reports 4th Straight Decline in Telephone Subscribership
Alert No. 1,005, Wednesday, Oct. 27.
• FRB Vice Chairman Addresses Business Investment in Info Tech
• FCC Announces Report and Order Regarding Unbundling Obligations Under § 271
• FCC Releases NOI on Foreign Mobile Termination Rates
Alert No. 1,004, Tuesday, Oct. 26.
• DOJ Approves Cingular's Acquisition of AT&T Wireless, Subject to Divestitures
• FCC Approves Cingular's Acquisition of AT&T Wireless
• 1st Circuit Rules in Export Administration Act Case
• EU May Lift FSC/ETI Sanctions
Alert No. 1,003, Monday, Oct. 25.
• Bush Signs FSC/ETI Repeal Bill
• SEC Fines Qwest $250 Million
• CEA Conducts Poll on Polling
• Copps and Adelstein Seek Reexamination of the FCC's Public File Rules
• Federal Circuit to Hear Oral Argument in Info Tech Cases
Alert No. 1,002, Friday, Oct. 22.
• DOJ Releases Policy Guide to Remedies for Anticompetitive Mergers
Alert No. 1,001, Thursday, Oct. 21.
• 7th Circuit Rules on Class Certification in Railroad Rights of Way Case
• Court of Appeals Affirms Zero Arbitration Award in Theis v. Brown & Bain
• PPI Hosts Panel Discussion of Technology, Due Process, and Privacy
Alert No. 1,000, Wednesday, Oct. 20.
• Powell Discusses VOIP Regulation
• 8th Circuit Address Derivative Works and Fair Use
• GAO Reports on Federal Networks that Support Homeland Security
Alert No. 999, Tuesday, Oct. 19.
• District Court Modifies 2000 Judgment to Allow Cingular to Acquire Certain AT&T Wireless Licenses
• Berman and Boucher Introduce Bill to Provide for Post Grant Reviews of Patents
• FCC Releases Fiber to the Curb Order
• 2nd Circuit Reverses Injunction In WorldCom Multidistrict Securities Litigation
Alert No. 998, Monday, Oct. 18.
• FCC Reschedules Auction 58 and Denies Requests to Alter or Waive Entrepreneurial Eligibility Rules
• FCC Issues NOI on Foreign Mobile Termination Rates
• PFF Reports on State Barriers to VOIP Deployment
• Trade Officials Comment on FSC/ETI Repeal
• 9th Circuits Affirms Judgment Against Corporate Hacker
• Bureau of Customs and Border Protection Conducts DMCA Rulemaking
Alert No. 997, Friday, Oct. 15.
• FCC Adopts BPL Report and Order
• FCC Adopts Report and Order Re 1710-1755 MHz Band
• FCC Rules ILECs Have No § 251 Unbundling Obligations for FTTC
Alert No. 996, Thursday, Oct. 14.
• 9th Circuit Rules in Qwest v. Portland
• District Court Dismisses Complaint Challenging Senate Filibusters of Judicial Nominees
• FCC Announces Partial Forbearance From ISP Remand Order
Alert No. 995, Wednesday, Oct. 13.
• Supreme Court Denies Cert in Unbundling Case
• Supreme Court Denies Cert in DMCA Subpoena Case
• Senators Debate Intellectual Property Protection Act Provisions
• DOJ IP Task Force Issues Recommendations
• IIPA Releases Study of Size of Copyright Industries
• House and Senate Approve Tax Bill That Repeals FSC/ETI
• House and Senate Approve Tax Bill That Limits Deductions for IP Contributions
Alert No. 994, Monday, Oct. 11.
• Movie and Music Industry Entities File Cert Petition in MGM v. Grokster
• FTC Files Complaint Against Spyware Con Artists
• Senate Judiciary Committee Approves Large Collection of Copyright Bills
Alert No. 993, Friday, Oct. 8.
• FCC Announces Agenda for October 14 Meeting
• House Approves Second Spyware Bill
• GAO Reports on PR China's Noncompliance with WTO Obligations
• US Chamber Offers Communications Policy Recommendations
Alert No. 992, Thursday, Oct. 7.
• 1st Circuit Grants Rehearing En Banc in Councilman Case
• House Approves Satellite Home Viewer Extension Reauthorization Act
• Senate Approves Bill Regarding Certification Marks
• Senate Approves Copyright Royalty and Distribution Reform Act
• House Approves Bill to Create New Judgeships and Split the 9th Circuit
• Senate Approves Bill Regarding Privatization of INTELSAT and Inmarsat
• Senate Judiciary Committee to Meet On Thursday
• Senate Has Yet To Approve Several Major House IP Bills
Alert No. 991, Wednesday, Oct. 6.
• House Passes First Spyware Bill
• Summary of House Commerce Committee Spyware Bill
• 5th Circuit Rules on Copyright, Fair Use, Attorneys Fees, and Alter Egos
Alert No. 990, Tuesday, Oct. 5.
• Supreme Court Denies Certiorari in Do Not Call Registry Case
• Supreme Court Denies Certiorari in Reverse Passing Off Case
• Juster Addresses Computer and Software Technology
Alert No. 989, Monday, Oct. 4.
• 7th Circuit Vacates in Chicago v. Comcast
• District Court Holds National Security Letters Statute Unconstitutional
• DOJ Will Not Appeal Oracle Antitrust Case
• Cyber Security Chief Yoran Resigns
Alert No. 988, Friday, Oct. 1.
• Hatch and Leahy Continue to Work on an Inducement of Infringement Bill
• FCC Hosts Discussion of Wireline Competition Bureau Topics
• Carlisle Discusses the FCC's Bipolar World, Powell's Network Freedoms, and a Network Layers Model of Regulation
• FCC Officials Discuss VOIP Regulation
Alert No. 987, Thursday, Sept. 30.
• Opponents Criticize Latest Draft of Inducing Infringement of Copyright Act
Alert No. 986, Wednesday, Sept. 29.
• House Approves Copyright Bill
• Senate Judiciary Committee Releases Agenda for September 30 Meeting
• 9th Circuit Rules in Compelled Speech Case
Alert No. 985, Tuesday, Sept. 28.
• Senate Judiciary Committee Releases Draft of the Inducing Infringement of Copyrights Act
• Donaldson Addresses New Technologies and Regulation NMS
• Ridge Addresses Public Safety Interoperability
• Rep. Lofgren Introduces Bill to Repeal AMT Treatment of Incentive Stock Options
Alert No. 984, Monday, Sept. 27.
• 9th Circuit Grants Rehearing in SEC v. Yuen
• House Bill Would Create Position of Assistant USTR for IPR
• Rep. Dreier Proposes National Identification Card and Database
• SEC Official Addresses Regulation NMS and Electronic Markets
Alert No. 983, Friday, Sept. 24.
• Senate Commerce Committee Approves Wireless Privacy Bill
• Senate Commerce Committee Approves Spyware Bill
• Senate Commerce Committee Approves Rural Universal Service Reform Bill
• FCC Sets Comments Deadlines in Broadband, VOIP and CALEA Proceeding
• GAO Reports on Offshoring of Services
• House Government Reform Committee Holds Hearing on IPR
Alert No. 982, Thursday, Sept. 23.
• FCC Fines Viacom $550,000 for Super Bowl Indecency
• Former Computer Associates CEO Sanjay Kumar Indicted
• DOJ Charges CA With Securities Fraud and Obstruction of Justice
• SEC Brings Civil Actions Against Computer Associates, Kumar, and Others
• Groups Urge 9th Circuit to Rehear French Internet Censorship Case
• Senate Commerce Committee Marks Up Bills
Alert No. 981, Wednesday, Sept. 22.
• TSA Requires Airlines to Provide Customer Data
• Senate Commerce Committee Holds Hearing on Wireless Privacy
• House Approves Video Voyeurism Prevention Act
• House Approves Anti-counterfeiting Amendments of 2003 and Fraudulent Online Identity Sanctions Act
• Senate Judiciary Committee Holds Over Tech and IP Bills
• Senate Judiciary Committee Approves Copyright Royalty and Distribution Reform Act
Alert No. 980, Tuesday, Sept. 21.
• Senators Introduce Bill Pertaining to Certification Marks
• Senate Judiciary Committee May Consider Inducement Bill
Alert No. 979, Monday, Sept. 20.
• Senate Commerce Committee to Mark Up Tech and Communications Bills
• OMB Directs Federal Agencies to Adopt Personal Use Policies to Control Improper P2P File Sharing
• Sen. Ensign Addresses Senate Republican High Tech Task Force and Tech Related Bills
Alert No. 978, Thursday, Sept. 16.
• DOJ Charges Infineon With Felony Price Fixing; Infineon Pleads Guilty
• House and Senate Committees to Hold Hearings on Wireless Number Privacy
• Rep. Dreier Addresses the eBay Economy
• AG Ashcroft Addresses Cyber Crime
Alert No. 977, Wednesday, Sept. 15.
• Representatives Introduce Bill to Increase Authority of DHS's Top Cyber Security Officer
• Representatives Introduce Homeland Security Science and Tech Bill
• House Committee Holds Hearing on Cyber and Other Threats to Financial Infrastructure
• DOT Dismisses Privacy Related Complaint Against Northwest Airlines
Alert No. 976, Tuesday, Sept. 14.
• Dodd and Lieberman Introduce Bill to End Double State Taxation of Teleworkers
• Sen. Feingold Introduces Bill to Amend PATRIOT Act Provisions Regarding Interception of Computer Trespasser Communications
• Senate Subcommittee Holds Hearing on Tools to Fight Terrorism Act
• Sen. Alexander Wants to Delay Consideration of Internet Tax Ban Until Next Year
• FCC Releases Report on Availability of Broadband
• FCC Adopts Report to Congress on Competition in the Commercial Wireless Industry
Alert No. 975, Monday, Sept. 13.
• District Court Holds Pennsylvania Internet Statute Unconstitutional
• FTC Sues AT&T and Sprint for Violating FCRA
• Pate Addresses US Competition Law And Differences With EU
• GAO Again Finds FBI IT Management Lacking
• FCC Adopts Item Making Additional 20 MHz of Spectrum Available for AWS
• FCC Adopts Report and Order Re Children's Programming Obligations of DTV Broadcasters
• FCC Adopts Report and Order Re FCC Licensing and the National Historic Preservation Act
Alert No. 974, Friday, Sept. 10.
• DOJ Loses Oracle Case
• House Subcommittee Holds Hearing on CALEA and the Internet
• Rep. Pickering Asks About Relationship Between the DOJ's Brand X Cert Petition and the FCC's CALEA NPRM
Alert No. 973, Thursday, Sept. 9.
• House Judiciary Committee Approves Spyware Bill
• House Judiciary Committee Approves Intellectual Property Bills
• 9th Circuit Rules State Claim for Breach of Implied in Fact Contract Is Not Preempted by Copyright Act
Alert No. 972, Wednesday, Sept. 8.
• Senate Judiciary Committee Announces Agenda for September 9 Meeting
• Bush Nominates Verizon's Crotty for Federal Judgeship
• Appeals Court Judge Rips AT&T's Billing and Litigation Shell Game
• Ridge Addresses Identification Technology, National ID Cards, and Drivers Licenses
• AEI Brookings Study Backs Use of Information Markets by Government
Alert No. 971, Tuesday, Sept. 7.
• Federal Circuit Rejects Anti-Circumvention Claim in Garage Door Opener Case
Alert No. 970, Monday, Sept. 6.
• Copyright Office Releases Draft Version of Inducement Bill
• FTC Stops Deceptive Claims by Security Software Maker
• WTO Arbitrator Allows Sanctions for Byrd Amendment
Alert No. 969, Friday, Sept. 3.
• FCC Releases Agenda for September 9 Meeting
• FCC Releases Second Secondary Markets Report and Order
• 10th Circuit Rules in MDU Inside Wiring Case
Alert No. 968, Thursday, Sept. 2.
• Office of the Solicitor General Backs FCC in Brand X Case
• FTC Brings First Action for Violation of TSR for Calling Numbers on Do Not Call Registry
• 9th Circuit Reverses District Court Dismissal of Securities Fraud Suit Against Oracle
• Oracle Loses Appeal in Contract Dispute
Alert No. 967, Thursday, August 26.
• 10th Circuit Upholds Oklahoma Statute that Discriminates Against Electronic Commerce
• DOJ Executes Search Warrants in Investigation of Criminal Infringement by P2P Users
Alert No. 966, Wednesday, August 25.
• FCC Releases Order and NPRM Re Unbundling Rules
• Opponents of the Inducing Infringement of Copyrights Act Submit Alternative Proposal
• Comparison of Hatch Leahy Inducement Bill and Opponents' Proposal
Alert No. 965, Tuesday, August 24.
• 9th Circuit Reverses in Yahoo v. LICRA
Alert No. 964, Monday, August 23.
• District Court Holds Rep. McDermott Violated Wiretap Act
Alert No. 963, Friday, August 20.
• 9th Circuit Holds No Vicarious Infringement in Grokster Case
• Senate Judiciary Committee Holds Hearing on Inducement Bill
• Judge Jackson Fines Journalists $500 Per Day
• House Judiciary Committee to Hold Hearing on Tech Issues in 9-11 Commission Report and TAPAC Report
Alert No. 962, Thursday, August 19.
• GAO Reports on DHS Enterprise Architecture
• Federal Circuit Affirms in PMT v. Siemens
Alert No. 961, Wednesday, August 18.
• NTIA Submits Comments to FCC on Temperature Interference Model
• District Court Refuses to Block Arch Coal Merger
• District Court Finds No Federal Jurisdiction in Contract Claim Pertaining to Ownership of Copyright
Alert No. 960, Tuesday, August 17.
• Summary of the FCC's CALEA NPRM
• Summary of the CALEA NPRM's Tentative Conclusion Regarding Broadband Internet Access Services
• Summary of the CALEA NPRM's Tentative Conclusion Regarding Certain VOIP Services
• Summary of the CALEA NPRM's Declaratory Ruling Regarding Push To Talk Services
• Summary of the CALEA NPRM's Substantial Replacement Analysis
• Summary of the CALEA NPRM's Future Services Analysis
• Summary of the CALEA NPRM's Private Intercept Management Provider Proposal
Alert No. 959, Monday, August 16.
• FCC Reports Another Decline in Telephone Subscribership
• Pinkos Named USPTO Deputy Director
Alert No. 958, Thursday, August 12.
• 9th Circuit Rules in Trademark Dilution and Infringement Case Involving Domain Name Registration
• Blaster Worm Defendant Pleads Guilty
Alert No. 957, Wednesday, August 11.
• 9th Circuit Rules in Anonymous Speech Case
• Court Rules in Case Regarding Breach of Contract to Transfer Stock in Failed Dot Com
• Cato Releases Paper on Threats to Privacy
• CBO Releases Economic Analysis of Copyright and Digital Media
Alert No. 956, Tuesday, August 10.
• FCC Adopts Order Regarding Wireless SPAM
• FCC Releases CALEA NPRM
• FCC Releases Order on Reconsideration Regarding FTTH to MDUs
• District Court Enters Final Order in FTC Case Against Defendants Who Exploited Microsoft Messenger to Display Pop Up Ads
Alert No. 955, Monday, August 9.
• Bush Again Extends Export Administration Act
• Federal Election Commission Dismisses Fahrenheit 9/11 Complaint
• VeriSign Paper Rebuts ICANN Paper on Redirection in the Com and Net Domains
Alert No. 954, Friday, August 6.
• FCC Adopts Order on Reconsideration Re Unbundling Requirements of ILECs for FTTH to MDUs
• FCC Adopts R&O Approving Digital Protection Technologies and Recording Methods
• Powell Discusses Brand X Case
• FCC Adopts R&O Regarding DTV Conversion
• FCC Adopts R&O and FNPRM Regarding Reporting of Network Outages
• FCC Adopts NPRM Regarding Emergency Alert System
Alert No. 953, Thursday, August 5.
• FCC Adopts NPRM and Declaratory Ruling Regarding CALEA Obligations
• FCC Legislates Expansion of CALEA Obligations
Alert No. 952, Wednesday, August 4.
• Bush Signs US Australia FTA Implementation Act
• Class Action Lawyers Sue Yahoo, Google and Others for Serving Targeted Ads of Gambling Web Sites
• GAO Testifies on Information Technology and Terrorism
• District Court Issues Opinion in FOIA Action Seeking Draft of CAPPS II Privacy Impact Assessment
Alert No. 951, Tuesday, August 3.
• 4th Circuit Rules in Reciprocal Compensation Case
• President Bush Responds to 9-11 Report
• Rep. Crane Introduces Bill to Provide Tax Break for Certain Spectrum Based and • Information Technologies in Vehicles
• Rep. Hooley Introduces Children's Listbroker Privacy Act
• Muris to Leave FTC on August 15
Alert No. 950, Monday, August 2.
• Bush Gives Majoras and Liebowitz Recess Appointments to the FTC
• GAO Reports on DOD's Global Information Grid
• Terrorism Threat Level Raised for Financial Services Facilities in Washington DC, NYC and NJ
• FCC Issues NOI on Violent TV Programming
• Rep. Nadler Introduces Bill to Criminalize Accessing Stored E-Mail
• Rep. Inslee Introduces E-mail Privacy Act
• Tech Issues in Presidential Election Campaign
• Apple and RealNetworks Dispute Legality of Harmony Technology
Alert No. 949, Friday, July 30.
• 4th Circuit Addresses Filed Rate Doctrine and Consumer Protection Statutes
• 3rd Circuit Rules in First Amendment Case
Alert No. 948, Thursday, July 29.
• FCC Announces Agenda for August 4 Meeting
• DOJ Announces Annual Awards
• Chasser to Leave USPTO
Alert No. 947, Wednesday, July 28.
• 9th Circuit Rules in Verizon v. Covad
• Dallas Computer Guys Indicted for Supporting HAMAS
• Microsoft Rejects Japanese FTC Recommendation Regarding OEM Licensing Agreements
• GAO Reports on Critical Infrastructure Information Sharing
• Bush Signs Executive Order Naming the PCAST as the National Nanotechnology Advisory Panel
• Zywicki To Leave FTC
Alert No. 946, Tuesday, July 27.
• Senate Commerce Committee Passes VOIP Regulation Bill
• Summary of VOIP Related Bills
• Verizon and Skype Announce New VOIP Services
Alert No. 945, Monday, July 26.
• Sen. Wyden Blocks FTC Nominees
• Rep. Cox Urges Bush to Instruct IRS Not to Expand Excise Tax on Phones
• 6th Circuit Addresses Statute of Limitations and Award of Attorneys Fees in Music Copyright Case
• DC Circuit Reverses in CCI v. FCC
• EPIC Files FOIA Complaint Against DOD Seeking Records Regarding Data Mining Project
Alert No. 944, Friday, July 23.
• House Passes US Morocco FTA Bill
• House Judiciary Committee Passes Family Movie Act
• Senate Commerce Committee Approves Satellite Home Viewer Extension Bill
• Senate Commerce Committee Approves Junk Fax Bill
• Rep. Greenwood Will Not Seek Re-election
Alert No. 943, Thursday, July 22.
• Indictment Charges Theft of Customer Data Held By Acxiom
• US Morocco FTA Bill Moves in Congress
• Federal Reserve Board Reports on State of the Economy
Alert No. 942, Wednesday, July 21.
• House Passes Stock Option Accounting Reform Act
• House Passes Junk Fax Bill
• Microsoft Announces Stock Buy Back and Dividend Plans
• Microsoft General Counsel Discusses Legal Actions
• BTG Sues Microsoft and Apple Alleging Patent Infringement
Alert No. 941, Tuesday, July 20.
• Foundations Release Report on Health Care and Information Technology
• Moveon.org and Common Cause Request FTC to Censor TV Network
• Gallagher Addresses Independent Management of DNS
Alert No. 940, Monday, July 19.
• DC Circuit Grants Petition for Review in Verizon v. FCC
• PFF Advocates Less Regulation by the ICANN
• Senate Passes ETI/FSC Repeal Bill
• Senate Passes US Australia FTA
Alert No. 939, Friday, July 16.
• House Commerce Subcommittee Holds Hearing on RFID Technology
• House Subcommittee Approves SSN Privacy and Identity Theft Prevention Act
• Appeals Court Affirms Conviction of Man Who Stole President Clinton's SSN
• President Bush Signs Identity Theft Penalty Enhancement Act
• FTC Settlement With AspenTech Requires Divestiture of Software Businesses
• House Committee to Hold Hearing on EMP Attacks
Alert No. 938, Thursday, July 15.
• Powell Praises Broadband Over Powerline
• 9th Circuit Rules in California § 252 Case
• 8th Circuit Rules in False Designation of Origin of Book Case
• House Passes US Australia FTA
• House Passes Resolution Regarding IPR in the PRC
• House Passes Resolution Regarding WTO's Disparate Treatment of Taxes
• Draft Bills Implementing US Morocco FTA Approved by Committees
Alert No. 937, Wednesday, July 14.
• DOJ Releases Report Touting Benefits of PATRIOT Act
• EPIC Files Appeal Brief in FOIA Case Regarding DOJ Lobbying Over PATRIOT Act Amendment
• 11th Circuit Rules U.S. Courts Have Subject Matter Jurisdiction Over Foreign Infringer Who Sends Copies Into the U.S.
• 2nd Circuit Addresses Copyright Protection for Electronic Compilations of Data
Alert No. 936, Tuesday, July 13.
• 9th Circuit Rules Federal Courts Lack Jurisdiction Over Suit by Homeowners Association Against a Condo Owner for Placement of Satellite Dish
• PR China Agrees to Stop Preferential Tax Treatment for Domestic Producers of Integrated Circuits
• Monti Addresses Competition Policy and New Media
• Senate Democrats Block Class Action Fairness Act
• USAO in Northern District of California Prosecutes Unauthorized Access to Protected Computer Cases
• FCC Adopts Report and Order Regarding Interference in the 800 MHz Band
Alert No. 935, Monday, July 12.
• Rep. Stearns and Rep. Boucher Introduce VOIP and Internet Regulation Bill
• Michael Powell Starts a Web Log
• FCC Settles With AT&T in Proceeding Regarding Do Not Call Registry Violations
• FTC Reports on Marketing of Violent Games, Movies and Music to Children
Alert No. 934, Friday, July 9.
• FCC Adopts Second Secondary Markets Report and Order
• FCC Adopts Report and Order Regarding Unlicensed Devices
• FCC Eliminates Pick and Choose Rule
• House Commerce Subcommittee Holds Hearing on Stock Options Bill
• House Passes CJS Appropriations Bill
Alert No. 933, Thursday, July 8.
• FTC Rules Noerr-Pennington Doctrine Does Not Block Antitrust Action for False Representations Regarding Patents During Standards Setting Process
• DC Circuit Uphold's FCC's $6 Million Fine of SBC for Violating Unbundling Provision in SBC/Ameritech Merger Approval Order
• FCC Proposes That Broadcasters Retain Recordings To Facilitate Enforcement of Smut Ban
• GAO Finds Error Prone IT Environment at DOD
• House Begins Consideration of CJS Appropriations Bill
Alert No. 932, Wednesday, July 7.
• 5th Circuit Holds that Texas Universal Service Tax is Preempted by Section 254
• US, UK and Australia Sign MOU Regarding Spam
• CDT Writes Senators Regarding Inducement of Infringement Bill
Alert No. 931, Tuesday, July 6.
• FCC Releases Agenda for July 8 Meeting
• FTC Publishes Final Rule Under Fairness to Contact Lens Consumer Act
• IRS Publishes Advance NPRM Regarding Expanding the Excise Tax on Telephones to Include New Technologies
• Bush Makes Recess Appointments
Alert No. 930, Thursday, July 1.
• DC Circuit Rejects Appeal in Microsoft Antitrust Case
• 1st Circuit Holds Wiretap Act Does Not Apply to E-Mail in Storage
• 4th Circuit Rules in CoStar v. LoopNet
• 3rd Circuit Rules in Media Ownership Case
• DOJ States That It Is Incapable of Copying its Own Data
• Story Titles from January - June, 2004.
• Story Titles from July - December, 2003.
• Story Titles from January - June, 2003.
• Story Titles from July - December, 2002.