Story Titles from the Tech Law Journal Daily E-Mail Alert, by Issue.
July - December, 2005
Alert No. 1,281, Friday, December 30.
• 8th Circuit Rules in North Kansas City Municipal Broadband Case
• California Superior Court Rules in Cebridge v. Nevada County
• 8th Circuit Rules in Reciprocal Compensation Case
Alert No. 1,280, Thursday, December 29.
• NTIA Releases Estimates of 1710-1755 MHz Band Relocation Costs
• DOJ Requires AMC and Loews to Divest Theaters in Five Markets
• Texas Amends Spyware Complaint Against Sony BMG
Alert No. 1,279, Friday, December 23.
• House and Senate Approve Five Week Extension of Sunsetted Sections of PATRIOT Act
• EU Seeks More Money and Disclosures from Microsoft
• NIST Seeks Applications for EE and IT Lab Grants
Alert No. 1,278, Thursday, December 22.
• Senate Approves Six Month Extension of Sunsetted Provisions of the PATRIOT Act
• FCC Report to Congress on More Spectrum for ERPs Suggests Use of Commercial Services
• USPTO Seeks Comments on Subject Matter Eligible for Patents
Alert No. 1,277, Wednesday, December 21.
• Sensenbrenner and Conyers Introduce Analog Content Protection Bill
• OMB Releases Report on E-Government
Alert No. 1,276, Tuesday, December 20.
• Bush, Gonzales & Hayden Discuss Presidential Intercepts and PATRIOT Act
• Reaction to NSA Intercepts
• 3rd Circuit Rules Directv Can Sue Under § 2520 for Violation of § 2511(1)(a)
• Bush Announces FEC Nominations
Alert No. 1,275, Monday, December 19.
• Cloture Motion on PATRIOT Act Extension Bill Defeated in Senate
• President Bush Discloses Interception of Communications Without Court Approval
• Chairman Barton Hospitalized
Alert No. 1,274, Friday, December 16.
• Senate Commerce Committee Approves Bill to Expand FTC Powers to Pursue Online Fraud
• House Commerce Committee Postpones Markup of DATA Bill
Alert No. 1,273, Thursday, December 15.
• House Approves Conference Report on PATRIOT Act Extension Bill
• GAO Reports on Trade with PR China
• USTR Releases Annual Report on PR China's Violations of its WTO Obligations
• FTC Sues and Settles with Directv for Violation of TSR
Alert No. 1,272, Wednesday, December 14.
• House to Vote On PATRIOT Act Extension Bill
• Senate Commerce Committee Holds Hearing on Nominations of Tate and Copps
• Copps and Stevens Advocate Less Transparency at FCC
• Software Pirate Pleads Guilty
Alert No. 1,271, Tuesday, December 13.
• Senators Introduce Bill to Extend Sunsetted Provisions of Patriot Act for 3 Months
• GAO Reports on Computer Recycling
• Court Denies Cert in Case Involving Federal Preemption of State Law Claims Regarding Long Distance Phone Rates
• Supreme Court Grants Cert, and Vacates, in US v. Matthews
Alert No. 1,270, Monday, December 12.
• 7th Circuit Holds Downloading Copyrighted Music with P2P Software is Not Fair Use
• Companies Write Snow Regarding IRS Disregard for Court Opinions on 3% Excise Tax
• PFF Paper Opposes Content Based Restraints of Satellite Radio Broadcasts
Alert No. 1,269, Friday, December 9.
• House and Senate to Vote on Conference Report on PATRIOT Act Extension Bill
• Senate Opponents Say Conference Report Lacks Support in Senate
• Reaction to Conference Report on the PATRIOT Act Extension Bill
• Korean Government Orders Microsoft to Remove Functionality From Software
• 8th Circuit Upholds North Dakota's Ban on Use of Professional Telemarketers to Solicit Charitable Contributions
• Sen. Specter Outlines Schedule for Senate Judiciary Committee
Alert No. 1,268, Thursday, December 8.
• GAO Reports There is Widespread Domain Name Registration Dishonesty
• IRS Releases Proposed Rules Regarding Electronic Tax Preparation
Alert No. 1,267, Wednesday, December 7.
• DC Circuit Holds GLB Privacy Provisions Do Not Apply to Lawyers
• Comptel Urges Delay in Markup of Telecom Bill
Alert No. 1,266, Tuesday, December 6.
• NYU Releases Paper on Fair Use
• 8th Circuit Rejects Claim that Disney Infringed Trademark
• 7th Circuit Rules on Telemarketing and First Amendment
Alert No. 1,265, Monday, December 5.
• FCC Announces Agenda for December 9 Meeting
• DOJ and Samsung File Plea Agreement
• Extradited Ukrainian Infringer Pleads Guilty in U.S. District Court
• AAI President Criticizes Antitrust Modernization Commission
Alert No. 1,264, Friday, December 2.
• FTC Takes Action Against Retailer for Lax Data Security Practices
• BEA Data Shows Growth in Tech Investment
Alert No. 1,263, Thursday, December 1.
• SEC Proposes to Allow Internet Delivery of Proxy Materials
• New York Announces Settlement of Payola Investigation of Warner Music
Alert No. 1,262, Wednesday, November 30.
• FTC Releases Report on Effectiveness of Spam Countermeasures
• Antitrust Division and FTC to Hold Hearings on Single Firm Conduct
• GAO Reports on Offshoring of Services
Alert No. 1,261, Tuesday, November 29.
• Supreme Court to Consider Availability of Injunctive Relief in Patent Cases
Alert No. 1,260, Monday, November 28.
• WTO Releases Draft Hong Kong Ministerial Text
• Portman Discusses Status of WTO Trade Negotiations
• Mandelson Discusses Status of WTO Trade Negotiations
• EU Commissioner Advocates EU Wide Copyright and Censorship Regimes
• EU Commissioner Advocates State Supported Innovation
Alert No. 1,259, Wednesday, November 23.
• Senate Commerce Committee to Hold Public Hearings
• 9th Circuit Rules on Work Made for Hire Issues in Twentieth Century Fox v. Dastar
• USPTO Releases Annual Report
• SEC Seeks Contractor to Remake EDGAR
Alert No. 1,258, Tuesday, November 22.
• Texas Sues Sony BMG Alleging Violation of Texas Spyware Statute
• Federal Circuit Affirms Holding Regarding Claim Invalidity in IPXL v. Amazon
• 7th Circuit Holds Federal Wiretapping Statute Can Apply to Secret Use of Video Cameras
Alert No. 1,257, Monday, November 21.
• AG Gonzales Addresses IPR Enforcement in Beijing
• Reps. Terry and Boucher Propose New Internet Taxes
• House Science Committee Holds Hearing on Nanotech
• Senate Commerce Committee Holds Hearing on Future of Science and Universities
Alert No. 1,256, Friday, November 18.
• Abernathy to Leave FCC
• House Commerce Subcommittee Holds Hearing on Fair Use
Alert No. 1,255, Thursday, November 17.
• Tempest in Tunis Subsides
• House Approves Resolution Opposing UN Regulation of Internet
• Bush Discusses Freedom and Free Trade in Kyoto
• Portman Discusses APEC and Doha
• House Approves Resolution on Russia's Lack of IPR Protection
• Federal Circuit Denies Rehearing in Case Involving Prosecution Laches
Alert No. 1,254, Wednesday, November 16.
• Rep. Pelosi Announces House Democratic Innovation Initiative
• Bush Announces Plans for Zero Tariffs on Multi-chip Integrated Circuits
• Senate Approves Stop Counterfeiting in Manufactured Goods Act
• Senate Approves Protecting American Goods and Services Act of 2005
Alert No. 1,253, Tuesday, November 15.
• USTR Discusses IPR and Market Access in China
• NARA Requests Comments on Archiving Internet and Other Electronic Records
Alert No. 1,252, Monday, November 14.
• AG Gonzales Proposes Intellectual Property Protection Act
• Bush to Discuss IPR with Asian Leaders
• Bush Picks Cresanti for Technology Administration
Alert No. 1,251, Thursday, November 10.
• Bush Nominates Tennessee Regulator to FCC
• House Subcommittee Holds Hearing on Telecom Law Reform
• State Department Official Announces Plans for IPR Enforcement Cooperation Between US and Europe
• Portman Says There Has Been a Lack of Progress in Talks Leading Up to Hong Kong Meeting
• Conferees on PATRIOT Act Extension Bill to Meet
Alert No. 1,250, Wednesday, November 9.
• CTIA Writes Guidelines for Wireless Content
• SEC Chairman Cox Discusses Use of Interactive Data in Corporate Reporting
• 10th Circuit Dismisses Appeal in USF Case
Alert No. 1,249, Tuesday, November 8.
• Supreme Court Denies Certiorari in Software Copyright Case
• 3rd Circuits Holds Employer May Sue Former Employee Under § 1030
• Grokster to Cease Distributing Client Application for its P2P File Sharing System
Alert No. 1,248, Monday, November 7.
• Senate Commerce Committee Approves VOIP 911 Bill
• FEC to Write Rules Regulating Online Speech by End of February
• Amazon Announces Book Digitization Programs
• FCC Revises Rules Regarding DTV Tuner Requirements
Alert No. 1,247, Friday, November 4.
• FCC Adopts NPRM Regarding Local Franchising of Video Services
• FCC Requires DBS, Satellite Radio, Digital Broadcasters, and Others to Carry AES Communications
• Chief Justice Roberts Recuses Himself in Case Regarding Patentable Subject Matter
• 2nd Circuit Affirms in Drug Patent Antitrust Case
Alert No. 1,246, Thursday, November 3.
• IRS Loses Another Appeal Regarding 3% Excise Tax
• FCC Sets Comment Deadlines for DR Petition on IP Originated VOIP Traffic and Intercarrier Compensation
• House Rejects Online Freedom of Speech Act
• Commentary: Analysis of the Vote on HR 1606
Alert No. 1,245, Wednesday, November 2.
• Supreme Court Denies Certiorari in RF Radiation Cases
• FCC Announces Its Approval of SBC/AT&T Verizon/MCI Mergers With Enforceable Conditions
• 8th Circuit Affirms in Qwest v. Minnesota PUC
• 4th Circuit Affirms in NCSC v. Cisco
• Court of Appeals Vacates in Kidd v. FCC
• Rep. Oxley to Retire
• FCC Revises Agenda for November 3 Meeting
Alert No. 1,244, Tuesday, November 1.
• Bush Picks Sam Alito for Supreme Court
• Commentary: Alito's Opinions in Select Tech Related Cases
• Supreme Court Grants Certiorari in LabCorp v. Metabolite
• Supreme Court Denies Cert in Challenge to State Income Tax on Out of State Teleworkers
• Connecticut Legislators Seek End to New York's Taxation of Out of State Workers
• Supreme Court Seeks Views of SG in FTC v. Schering-Plough
• Supreme Court Denies Certiorari in Microsoft v. Eolas
• District Court Issues Stay in Google v. Microsoft
Alert No. 1,243, Monday, October 31.
• Appeals Court Rejects Challenge to Settlement of Sprint WorldCom Class Action
• GAO Reports on the U.S.'s and India's Measurement of Offshoring
• DHS Advisory Committee Recommends Conditions for Use of Commercial Data
• VeriSign and ICANN Settle
• FCC Postpones Announcement of Merger Orders
Alert No. 1,242, Friday, October 28.
• DOJ Approves Verizon MCI and SBC AT&T Mergers Subject to Divestitures
• DOJ Initiates Clayton Act § 7 Proceeding Against SBC and AT&T
• DOJ Initiates Clayton Act § 7 Proceeding Against Verizon and MCI
• Copyright Office Publishes Interim Regulations for Preregistration of Unpublished Works
• Bush Withdraws Miers Nomination
• Bush Makes Appointments to Foreign Intelligence Advisory Board
• FCC Releases Agenda for November 3 Meeting
Alert No. 1,241, Thursday, October 27.
• House Commerce Committee Approves DTV Bill
• IRS Announces That It Will Violate Court of Appeals Ruling Regarding Excise Tax on Phone Service
• USTR Requests Information From PR China Regarding IPR Enforcement
• International Publishers Association Criticizes Google's Scanning of Library Collections
• Bush Discusses Free Trade and Doha Trade Negotiations
Alert No. 1,240, Wednesday, October 26.
• FCC CALEA Order Challenged
• Export Control Chief Discusses iPods
• FCC Files Brief in Challenge to Unbundling Order
• SEC Chairman Cox Speaks in Beijing
Alert No. 1,239, Tuesday, October 25.
• Bush Picks Bernanke to Replace Greenspan
• Congress Considers Bills to Split 9th Circuit
• Google, Publishers and Authors Debate Google's Print for Libraries Program
Alert No. 1,238, Monday, October 24.
• Senate Commerce Committee Approves DTV Bill
• Senate Commerce Committee Approves WARN Act
• Senate Commerce Committee Approves Prepackaged News Story Bill
• FCC Announces Agenda for October 28 Meeting
• District Court Orders Interior Department to Disconnect Certain Computers
• Bush Picks Paul McNulty to Be Deputy Attorney General
Alert No. 1,237, Thursday, October 20.
• Senate Judiciary Committee Considers Bloggers and Reporters' Privilege Legislation
• FCC Files Brief with 9th Circuit in Brand X Case
• Major Book Publishers Sue Google for Digitizing Copyrighted Books
Alert No. 1,236, Wednesday, October 19.
• 4th Circuit Denies Rehearing in Hatfill v. NYT Defamation Case in 6-6 Vote
• Federal Circuit Rules on Exclusive Licensee's Standing to Sue for Infringement
• Groups Oppose DOD Electronic Database on Privacy Grounds
Alert No. 1,235, Tuesday, October 18.
• Solicitor General to Argue IP Tying Antitrust Case
• Supreme Court Denies Cert in Merck v. Teva
• FFIEC Urges Use of Better Authentication Methods in Internet Banking
Alert No. 1,234, Monday, October 17.
• Portman Discusses Trade Negotiations
• Kroes Wants American Style Private Antitrust Lawsuits in Europe
• FCC Sets Comment Deadlines for FNPRM Regarding Amending CALEA
Alert No. 1,233, Friday, October 14.
• DOJ Charges Samsung with DRAM Price Fixing
• Microsoft and Yahoo Announce Plans to Make IM Service Interoperable
• Grand Jury Indicts Counterfeiters
• 3rd Circuit Rules on Lending Tree's Web Use of Real Estate Brokers' Trademarks
Alert No. 1,232, Wednesday, October 12.
• Microsoft and RealNetworks Settle
• Verizon Seeks Reversal in Texaco v. Dagher
• Supreme Court Denies Cert in 10b5 Class Action Against Merrill Lynch for Hyping Internet Stocks
• Court Denies Cert Petition from Convicted Former Cisco Employee
Alert No. 1,231, Tuesday, October 11.
• USTR Seeks to Break Doha Deadlock
Alert No. 1,230, Monday, October 10.
• Senate Banking Committee Holds Hearing on CFIUS
• Cogent and Level 3 Have Peering Dispute
• 4th Circuit Rules Dirty Dancing is not Expressive Conduct
• Bush Nominates Bohigian to Head Market Access and Compliance
Alert No. 1,229, Friday, October 7.
• House Commerce Committee Leaders Oppose UN Efforts to Regulate Internet
• Groups Seek Delay in Broadcast Flag Legislative Process
• Copyright Office Announces Proceeding on DMCA Anti-Circumvention Exemptions
• FTC Files Complaint Against Spyware Distributor
• Senate Subcommittee Holds Hearing on Spyware
Alert No. 1,228, Thursday, October 6.
• Supreme Court Lets Stand Holding that Copyright Action Cannot Be Assigned
• Supreme Court Lets Stand Holding That Product Numbers Are Not Copyrightable
• 2nd Circuit Dismisses Uzan Appeal
• Sprint Sues Vonage for Patent Infringement
• EC Appoints Monitoring Trustee for Microsoft
• DOJ Amends Complaint Against Realtors
Alert No. 1,227, Wednesday, October 5.
• Supreme Court Requests Brief From Solicitor General in Patent Obviousness Case
• Supreme Court Vacates in US v. Maxwell
• 11th Circuit Rules in HGI v. Wetmore
• Bush Holds Press Conference
Alert No. 1,226, Tuesday, October 4.
• 2nd Circuit Vacates in Twombly v. Bell Atlantic
• Bush Picks Harriet Miers for Supreme Court
• SMU Law School
Alert No. 1,225, Monday, October 3.
• WTO Concludes AJCA Still Violates DSB's FSC/ETI Rulings
• US Consul General Discusses Trade and IPR in Hong Kong
• Bush Picks Thomas Rosch for FTC
• 9th Circuit Rules in Arizona Cartridge v. Lexmark
• EC Issues Statement Regarding Plans to Digitize Libraries
Alert No. 1,224, Thursday, September 29.
• GAO Reports on Real Estate Brokers and Use of the Internet
• State Department Official Addresses IPR Protection in Ukraine
• House Ways and Means Committee Holds Hearing on Trade with Japan
• FTC Takes Action Against Mortgage Lender for Failure to Protect Customer Data
Alert No. 1,223, Wednesday, September 28.
• FCC Again Extends Its Deadline for VOIP Providers to Cut Off Customers
• House Subcommittee Holds Hearing on State Business Activity Taxes
Alert No. 1,222, Tuesday, September 27.
• Treasury Secretary Advocates Free Trade
• GAO Finds Information Security Weaknesses at FAA
• House Committee Holds Hearing on Regulation of Internet Speech
Alert No. 1,221, Monday, September 26.
• Communist China Announces More Regulation of Unhealthy Online News
• FCC Releases Policy Statement Regarding Internet Regulation
Alert No. 1,220, Friday, September 23.
• CIIP Subcommittee Holds Hearing on P2P Piracy on Campus
• GAO May Rate Universities on Efforts to Stop P2P Infringement
• Senate Commerce Committee Holds Hearing on Communications and Hurricane Katrina
Alert No. 1,219, Thursday, September 22.
• SEC Commissioner Discusses Use of Internet and the SEC's Point of Sale Initiative
• House Subcommittee to Hold Hearing on Goodlatte Boucher BAT Bill
Alert No. 1,218, Wednesday, September 21.
• Author's Guild Sues Google for Copyright Infringement
• 2nd Circuit Stays District Court Injunction in National Security Letter Case
• CDT Releases Paper on Broadcast Flag
Alert No. 1,217, Tuesday, September 20.
• Senators Introduce Anticounterfeiting Bill
• 11th Circuits Rules Courts Can Compel Disclosure of Intellectual Property of Non-Party Without Compensation
Alert No. 1,216, Monday, September 19.
• House Commerce Committee Releases Draft of Bill to Regulate Internet Protocol Services
• Reaction to House Commerce Committee Discussion Draft
• Representatives Urge Hard Date for DTV Conversion and Funding for Converter Boxes
• Pulver Criticizes FCC for Slighting VOIP and Other IP Services
Alert No. 1,215, Friday, September 16.
• House Science Committee Holds Hearing on Cyber Security
• Enzi Advocates Export Administration Act
• House Subcommittee to Hold Hearing on Financial Services Regulatory Relief Act
Alert No. 1,214, Thursday, September 15.
• Mandelson Advocates Conclusion of Doha Round of Trade Negotiations
• Bush Advocates Conclusion of Doha Round
• US Chamber Criticizes PR China's Failure to Comply with Its WTO Obligations on IPR and Telecom
• Trial Court Issues Preliminary Injunction in Microsoft v. Kai-Fu Lee and Google
Alert No. 1,213, Wednesday, September 14.
• 2nd Circuit Holds Foreign Governments Cannot Use RICO to Collect Taxes in US Courts
• GAO Reports on DOD Development of Passive RFID Technology
Alert No. 1,212, Tuesday, September 13.
• EBay to Acquire Skype
• Oracle to Acquire Siebel
• Ambassador Gross Says UN Will Not Be in Charge of the Internet
• 3rd Circuit Affirms in Pharmacy Web Site Case
Alert No. 1,211, Monday, September 12.
• SEC Releases Memo on Market Based Methods for Valuing Employee Stock Options
• GAO Writes Yet Another Report Criticizing FBI's Info Tech
• EPIC Wants Judiciary Committee to Question Roberts on Electronic Privacy
Alert No. 1,210, Friday, September 9.
• DOJ Sues National Association of Realtors for Obstructing Internet Based Brokers
• FCC Announces Agenda for September 15 Meeting
• District Court Dismisses SEC's Reg FD Complaint Against Siebel Systems
• Court Holds Hearing on Microsoft's Motion for Preliminary Injunction Against Google
Alert No. 1,209, Thursday, September 8.
• Federal Circuit Issues Opinion on State Secrets Privilege
• NCTA Continues Opposition to Multicast Must Carry
• DOJ Requires NSM and Ecast to End Digital Jukebox Non-Compete Agreement
Alert No. 1,208, Wednesday, September 7.
• Australian Court Finds Sharman Infringed Music Copyrights
Alert No. 1,207, Tuesday, September 6.
• William Rehnquist Died
• William Rehnquist's Legacy in Technology Law
Alert No. 1,206, Friday, September 2.
• Tech Lawyers Scheduled to Testify at Roberts Confirmation Hearing
• 11th Circuit Rules in Drug Patent Antitrust Case
• PFF Paper Asserts Declining Stock Prices of Media Companies Belies Media Monopoly Arguments
Alert No. 1,205, Thursday, September 1.
• FCC Issues Public Notices Related to Hurricane Katrina
• USTR Lifts Trade Sanctions on Ukraine and Announces Special 301 Out of Cycle Review
Alert No. 1,204, Tuesday, August 30.
• Greenspan Discusses Innovation and Free Trade
• GAO Reports on Government Data Mining Projects and Privacy
Alert No. 1,203, Monday, August 29.
• 4th Circuit Upholds TSR Provisions Regarding Fundraising on Behalf of Charities
• 11th Circuit Construes Driver's Privacy Protection Act
Alert No. 1,202, Friday, August 26.
• FCC Delays Its VOIP Customer Lockout Mandate for 30 Days
• Suit Challenges Constitutionality of National Security Letters
• Senate Judiciary Committee Requests Information From FBI Regarding Data Mining Project
• Trade Secrets Case To Proceed Against Corporation Owned by PRC
Alert No. 1,201, Thursday, August 25.
• 4th Circuit Rules for Jerry Falwell's Cyber Squatter
• FCC Delays Proceeding on State Regulation of Airport WiFi Hotspots
Alert No. 1,200, Wednesday, August 24.
• Federal Circuit Addresses Inducement of Patent Infringement by Foreign Silicon Wafer Maker
• FCC Releases Report and Order on Satellite Must Carry Requirements in Alaska and Hawaii
Alert No. 1,199, Monday, August 22.
• Federal Circuit Addresses Priority Date of Patents Originating from Foreign Applications
• FCC Seeks Further Comments on USF Proposals
• WTO Sets Deadline for US Compliance with Internet Gambling Order
Alert No. 1,198, Friday, August 19.
• 10th Circuit Construes Removal Provisions of Class Action Fairness Act
• Federal Circuit Issues Order in Integra v. Merck
• FTC Takes Action Against Deceptive Online Marketing of Credit Monitoring Service
• FCC Releases Text Of NOI on Whipsawing
• 8th Circuit Addresses District Court's E-Mail Service Failures
Alert No. 1,197, Wednesday, August 17.
• Bush Names McCallum Acting Deputy Attorney General
• Federal Circuit Affirms in Pause v. Tivo
• Federal Circuit Issues New Opinion in NTP v. RIM
Alert No. 1,196, Tuesday, August 16.
• 2nd Circuit Affirms Dismissal of Uniform Cable Rate Class Action
• FCC Issues NALS in Tax Collection Actions
Alert No. 1,195, Monday, August 15.
• FCC Seeks Comments on Petitions for Reconsideration of E911 VOIP Order
• FCC Releases NOI on Video Competition and Other Topics
• US Argues Congress Has Commerce Clause Authority to Criminalize Acts Involving Use of Computer
Alert No. 1,194, Friday, August 12.
• 1st Circuit Issues En Banc Opinion in Councilman Case
• So, Just What Are All These Statutory Sections Cited in the Councilman Case?
• US v. Councilman and VOIP Communications
Alert No. 1,193, Thursday, August 11.
• 7th Circuit Finds No Federal Jurisdiction in HP EEPROM Class Action
• 4th Circuit Rules in Software Engineer's Employment Discrimination Case
• 9th Circuit Rules in Trademark Case
• 8th Circuit Enforces Covenant Not to Compete
Alert No. 1,192, Wednesday, August 10.
• Recess Appointments in the August Break
• Court Holds Cable Companies Do Not Have to Pay Fees to Multiple Local Franchising Authorities
• AG Gonzales Addresses PATRIOT Act Extension
• FCC Releases Order Approving Sprint Nextel Merger
Alert No. 1,191, Tuesday, August 9.
• FCC Amends CALEA Statute
• FTC and DOJ File Amicus Brief in Patent Tying Antitrust Case
• Rep. Boucher Proposes Network Neutrality Legislation
• FCC Chairman Directs Enforcement Bureau to Conduct Payola Investigation
• Barr Bashes UN Efforts to Govern the Internet
Alert No. 1,190, Monday, August 8.
• FCC Classifies DSL as Information Service
• Reaction to the FCC's Classification of DSL
• FCC Adopts a Policy Statement Regarding Network Neutrality
• FCC Adopts Order Amending Service Rules for AWS
Alert No. 1,189, Friday, August 5.
• 10th Circuit Rules on When Copyright Registration Occurs
• 10th Circuit Addresses Search and Seizures Associated with Misappropriation of Trade Secrets Cases
Alert No. 1,188, Thursday, August 4.
• FCC Postpones Meeting from Thursday to Friday
• FCC and DOJ Approve the Merger of Sprint and Nextel
• FTC Takes Action Against Deceptive Marketing of Adware
• Zoellick Discusses Trade and IPR in China
Alert No. 1,187, Wednesday, August 3.
• Court Holds Texas's Blocking of Legal E-Mail Is Neither Preempted by CAN-SPAM Act, Nor In Violation of 1st Amendment
• 1st Circuit Rules on Application of Lanham Act to Foreign Defendants
• Bush Signs Document Related to BIS/BXA Regulation
Alert No. 1,186, Tuesday, August 2.
• FCC Seeks Comments of Massachusetts Port Authority's Attempt to Regulate Airport WiFi Hotspots
• Martin Gives Speech At NARUC Meeting
• DC Circuit Rules in FTC Competition Case
• GAO Examines Information Security Practices of Financial Market Organizations
Alert No. 1,185, Monday, August 1.
• FCC Announces Short Agenda for August 4 Meeting
• Chertoff Discusses Statute Limiting Liability for Developers of Anti-Terrorism Technologies
• Appeals Court Affirms in Telemarketing Sales Rule Case
• 4th Circuit Reinstates Hatfill's Defamation Suit Against NYT
Alert No. 1,184, Thursday, July 28.
• House Approves DR-CAFTA Free Trade Bill
• FCC Amends E911 VOIP Order's Subscriber Notice, Reporting and Cancellation Requirements
Alert No. 1,183, Wednesday, July 27.
• Senate Committee Approves Cybercrime Treaty
• Sen. Hatch Comments on Judicial Selection and IP Law
• Senate Banking Committee Holds Hearing on Nomination of Rep. Cox to Be SEC Chairman
• Tether Testifies Regarding DARPA's Development of Ultraviolet Optical Communications
• PFF Paper Criticizes Compulsory Music Licensing
Alert No. 1,182, Tuesday, July 26.
• Bush Nominates Boyden Gray to be US Representative to EU
• FCC NARUC Task Force on VOIP 911 Regulation Formed
• 8th Circuit Permits Game Maker to Incorporate Marks of Others
Alert No. 1,181, Monday, July 25.
• GAO Finds that DHS Violated Privacy Act
• Copyright Office Commences Rulemaking on Preregistration of Unpublished Works
• Bush Names Chris Israel Coordinator for International Intellectual Property Enforcement
Alert No. 1,180, Friday, July 22.
• House Approves PATRIOT Act Extension Bill
Alert No. 1,179, Thursday, July 21.
• House Rules Committee Adopts Rule for PATRIOT Act Extension Bill
• 10th Circuit Dismisses Appeal by Payphone Providers
• U.S. Chamber and Visa USA to Host Seminars on Data Security
• PFF Paper Argues Against Data Breach Notification Mandates
Alert No. 1,178, Wednesday, July 20.
• Bush Nominates John Roberts for Supreme Court
• House Scheduled to Consider PATRIOT Act Extension Bill
• Microsoft Sues Former Employee Who Joined Google
• OMB Seeks Comments on Federally Funded Collaborative Research
• UN Seeks Vast Authority to Regulate Operation and Use of the Internet
Alert No. 1,177, Tuesday, July 19.
• Court of Appeals Denies Petitions for Review in Northpoint v. FCC
• Court Allows AOL To Waive A-C Privilege for Communications Between Corporate Counsel and Employees
• DC Circuit Affirms in Shays v. FEC
Alert No. 1,176, Monday, July 18.
• GAO Reports on Pervasive Information Security Weaknesses at 24 Agencies
• 8th Circuit Holds That It Has Jurisdiction Over Patent Counterclaims
• 3rd Circuit Denies Petition for Review in SBC v. FCC
Alert No. 1,175, Friday, July 15.
• House Intelligence Committee Marks Up Bill to Extend Expiring Provisions of PATRIOT Act
• Senators Introduce Bill to Extend Expiring Provisions of PATRIOT Act
• GAO Reports Information Security Weaknesses at DHS
• GAO Reports on Health Information Technology
Alert No. 1,174, Thursday, July 14.
• House Judiciary Committee Marks Up Bill to Extend Expiring Provisions of PATRIOT Act
• Summary of Amendments to HR 3199 Approved by the House Judiciary Committee
• DHS Announces Reorganization Plans
• Bush Picks Stewart Baker for DHS Policy Position
Alert No. 1,173, Wednesday, July 13.
• Federal Circuit Issues En Banc Opinion on Claim Construction
• Senate IP Subcommittee Holds Hearing on Music Licensing Reform
Alert No. 1,172, Tuesday, July 12.
• House Judiciary Committee to Mark Up Bill to Make Permanent the Sunsetted Provisions of the PATRIOT Act
• Summary of HR 3199 IH
• PR China Agrees to Increased Prosecution of IPR Violations, and Other IPR Terms
• FCC Approves Alltel Acquisition of Western Wireless
Alert No. 1,171, Monday, July 11.
• Grokster Case Debated
• EPIC Complains to FTC About Online Information Brokers
• AEI Brookings Paper Argues State and Local Policies are Ineffective at Promoting Broadband
• FCC Reports on Number of Phone Lines
Alert No. 1,170, Friday, July 8.
• FCC Meeting Agenda Includes Further NPRM on Media Ownership Rules
• DOJ Approves Alltel's Acquisition of Western Wireless, With Divestitures
• 5th Circuit Rules on Copyrightability of Graphic Designs
• Federal Circuit Rules in Seachange v. C-COR
• FCC Reports on Number of Broadband Lines and Wireless Channels
• Rep. Sensenbrenner Addresses PATRIOT Act Extensions
Alert No. 1,169, Thursday, July 7.
• Public Knowledge Proposes Government Planning and • Regulation of Broadband Internet Services
• 9th Circuit Rules on Ripeness of Challenge to Interim Rates for Access to UNEs
• 7th Circuit Rules on Federal Preemption in Suit Involving Long Distance Telephone Rates
Alert No. 1,168, Wednesday, July 6.
• Broadcom Files Antitrust Complaint Against Qualcomm
• House Government Reform Committee Holds Hearing on IPv6
• GAO Reports on FACT Act and Identity Theft
• Libertelli Joins Skype
Alert No. 1,167, Tuesday, July 5.
• FCC Sets Deadlines for Comments on VOIP NPRM
• 25 House Commerce Committee Members Praise MGM v. Grokster
• State Department Official Says Internet and Wireless Communications Promote Freedom
• Justice O'Connor Resigns
Alert No. 1,166, Friday, July 1.
• NTIA Rebuffs UN Efforts to Gain Control Over Internet Governance
• Senate Approves CAFTA Implementation Bill
• DOJ Announces Operations Against Online Distributors of Pirated Works
• 2nd Circuit Rules on Willfulness in Software Copyright Infringement Case
• Story Titles from January - June 2005.
• Story Titles from July - December, 2004.
• Story Titles from January - June, 2004.
• Story Titles from July - December, 2003.
• Story Titles from January - June, 2003.
• Story Titles from July - December, 2002.