Story Titles from the Tech Law Journal Daily E-Mail Alert, by Issue.
January - June, 2007
Alert No. 1,604, Friday, June 29.
• Senate Commerce Committee Approves Caller ID Bill
• Senate Commerce Committee Again Approves Bill to Create MSI Tech Grant Program
• Senate Judiciary Committee Subpoenas President, VP, DOJ and NSC Regarding Warrantless Electronic Surveillance
• House Committee Holds Hearing on SEC
• Supreme Court Denies Cert in Case Regarding Discrimination Against Foreign Attorneys
Alert No. 1,603, Thursday, June 28.
• SCUS Holds That All Vertical Price Restraints Are Subject to Rule of Reason
• 2nd Circuit Addresses Personal Jurisdiction in Web Based Defamation Case
Alert No. 1,602, Wednesday, June 27.
• FTC Report on Broadband Policy Cautions Against Network Neutrality Mandate
• AG Gonzales Discusses International IP Enforcement
• ITIF Releases Report on IT Related Unfair Trade Practices
Alert No. 1,601, Tuesday, June 26.
• Supreme Court Grants Cert in Case Regarding State Regulation of E-Commerce
Alert No. 1,600, Monday, June 25.
• Four Party Doha Talks In Potsdam Fail
• Supreme Court Rules in Tellabs v. Makor
Alert No. 1,599, Thursday, June 21.
• Senate Judiciary Committee Authorizes Issuance of Subpoenas Directed at Bush Administration Regarding Surveillance
Alert No. 1,598, Wednesday, June 20.
• Supreme Court Rules in Credit Suisse v. Billing
• Google Complained to DOJ Regarding Search Functions in Vista
• PFF Releases Report on Online Child Protection
Alert No. 1,597, Tuesday, June 19.
• 6th Circuit Holds That People Have a Reasonable Expectation of Privacy in E-Mail Stored With, or Sent or Received Through, an ISP
Alert No. 1,596, Monday, June 18.
• DC Superior Court Dismisses Lost Laptop Data Case for Lack of Standing
• Administration Officials Promote KORUS FTA
• US FTC and PRC SAIC Enter Into Information Exchange Agreement
Alert No. 1,595, Thursday, June 14.
• 11th Circuit Rules in Collective Work Copyright Case
• 6th Circuit Addresses Damages in Software Copyright Infringement Case
Alert No. 1,594, Wednesday, June 13.
• House Approves Caller ID Spoofing Bill
• 3rd Circuit Grants Panel Rehearing in Core Communications v. Verizon
Alert No. 1,593, Monday, June 11.
• Supreme Court Seeks OSG Brief in Sprint Nextel v. NASUCA
• Supreme Court Grants Cert in ADEA Case Against Sprint
• 8th Circuit Rules in Reciprocal Compensation Case
• FCC Announces Members and Mission of Consumer Advisory Committee
Alert No. 1,592, Friday, June 8.
• Rep. McDermott Introduces Bill to License and Tax Internet Gambling
• House Financial Services Committee Holds Hearing on Internet Gambling
• 5th Circuit Rules in Speech Case
• DC Circuit Rules in Challenge to FCC Imposition of US Taxes on Interconnected VOIP
Alert No. 1,591, Wednesday, June 6.
• House Approves Commerce Committee's Spyware Bill
• SEC Orders IBM Not to Violate Reporting Requirements
• Paulson Addresses Strategic Economic Dialogue with PR China and IPR
• NTIA Seeks Contractor to Maintain US Top Level Domain
• USTR Discusses US Korea FTA
Alert No. 1,590, Monday, June 4.
• 2nd Circuit Vacates and Remands FCC Profanity Order
• Rep. Jefferson Indicted
• GAO Reports on Information Security Weaknesses at FBI
Alert No. 1,589, Thursday, May 31.
• FCC Extends E911 Location Tracking Rules to Interconnected VOIP
• FCC Extends Disability Access Rules to Interconnected VOIP Providers
• FCC Expands EAS Program
• FCC Adopts Rules Changes for MDUs
• DOJ Prosecutes Internet Distributor of Non-Child Related Porn
Alert No. 1,588, Tuesday, May 29.
• Dingell and Markey Want FCC to Plan Consumers' Transition to DTV
• Supreme Court Denies Cert in E-Rate Contract Dispute
• 4th Circuit Rules Copyright is Not a Constitutional Right
Alert No. 1,587, Thursday, May 24.
• FCC Releases Agenda for May 31 Meeting
• ITIF Releases Report on Patent Reform
• District Court Dismisses CAN-SPAN Act Case for Lack of Standing and Federal Preemption
Alert No. 1,586, Wednesday, May 23.
• House Approves Spyware Bill
• DOJ Antitrust Action Takes Segmented View of Media
• 5th Circuit Rules in 11th Amendment Immunity Case
• Reps. Thompson and Langevin Write Nuclear Regulatory Commission Regarding Cyber Security
Alert No. 1,585, Tuesday, May 22.
• Supreme Court Rules in Bell Atlantic v. Twombly
• House Resolution Asks Foreign Government Agencies to Respect Copyright
• Senate Judiciary Committee Holds Hearing on Online Pharmacies
Alert No. 1,584, Monday, May 21.
• Sen. Pryor Introduces Nanotechnology Bills
• Rep. Boucher Introduces Bill to Render Tax Planning Method Patents Unenforceable
• DOJ Releases Proposed Revisions to Copyright and Trademark Law
• Lanny Davis Resigns from Privacy and Civil Liberties Oversight Board
Alert No. 1,583, Friday, May 18.
• Rep. Schiff and Rep. Chabot Introduce Bill to Expand § 1030
• Copyright Alliance Announces Its Formation
Alert No. 1,582, Wednesday, May 16.
• House Subcommittee Approves Patent Bill
• Rep. Berman Outlines Copyright Agenda
• 9th Circuit Rules in Wiretap Case
Alert No. 1,581, Tuesday, May 15.
• 9th Circuit Holds Roommates.com May be Liable for Speech of Users
Alert No. 1,580, Monday, May 14.
• Supreme Court Denies Cert in INS v. Qwest
• CO and USPTO Hold Roundtable on Proposed WIPO Broadcast Treaty
• Opponents of WIPO Broadcast Treaty Release Joint Statement
Alert No. 1,579, Thursday, May 10.
• 3rd Circuit Holds Interconnection Actions Must First Be Brought in the State PUC
• Bush Reiterates Support for Doha Round, Free Trade Agreements, and Open Investment Policies
• Martin Addresses Cable Convention
• 4th Circuit Rules in ECPA and CFAA Case
Alert No. 1,578, Wednesday, May 9.
• FTC and DOJ Release Report Regarding Real Estate Industry and Internet
• 9th Circuit Submits Section 332 Question to California Supreme Court
• Rep. Boucher and Rep. Pence Again Introduce Reporter Shield Bill
Alert No. 1,577, Tuesday, May 8.
• OUSTR Invokes GATS Article XXI in WTO Internet Gambling Dispute
• District Court Rules Against EFF on Electronic Surveillance FOIA Request
• Bernanke Advocates Free Trade, Globalization, Offshoring, and IPR Protection
Alert No. 1,576, Monday, May 7.
• 9th Circuit Rules on Private RICO Actions in Odom v. Microsoft
• Supreme Court Rules on Patent Obviousness in KSR v. Teleflex
• Supreme Court Rules in Microsoft v. AT&T
Alert No. 1,575, Friday, May 4.
• House Passes Authorization Bills for NSF and NIST
• Senate Finance Committee Hears Testimony on Use of Internet Communications to Avoid US Taxation
• Sen. Lieberman Advocates Disrupting Terrorist Web Sites
Alert No. 1,574, Thursday, May 3.
• Rep. Frank Introduces Bill to Facilitate Licensed Internet Gambling
Alert No. 1,573, Wednesday, May 2.
• En Banc Panel of DC Circuit Affirms Judgment that Rep. McDermott Violated the Wiretap Act
• House Crime Subcommittee Approves Spyware Bill
• Antitrust Division Will Not Oppose IEEE's Standards Setting Process
• Senate Judiciary Committee Holds Hearing on Process Patents
Alert No. 1,572, Tuesday, May 1.
• House Commerce Committee Leaders Ask DOJ to Investigate Pretexters for Possible Criminal Prosecution
• House Commerce Committee Leaders Write Gutierrez about Alleged Misconduct in Department of Commerce OIG
• FCC Recommends that Congress Regulate TV Content to Protect Children from Violence Programs
• Presidents Civil Liberties Oversight Board Releases Annual Report
• GAO Report Addresses Data Breaches at Government Agencies
Alert No. 1,571, Monday, April 30.
• FCC Releases 700 MHz Band Order and FNPRM
• Japan's Abe and Bush Discuss Trade Issues
• USTR Schwab Addresses International IPR Protection
• Jack Valenti, 1921-2007
Alert No. 1,570, Wednesday, April 25.
• Senate Commerce Committee Approves Data Breach Notification Bill
• SEC Charges Former Apple Officers with Stock Option Backdating
• Identity Theft Task Force Releases Report
Alert No. 1,569, Tuesday, April 24.
• Federal Circuit Issues Stay of Injunction in Verizon v. Vonage
• Orphan Works Bill to Be Introduced
• Atkins Discusses IT, Globalization, and Securities Markets
Alert No. 1,568, Monday, April 23.
• House Subcommittee Approves SPY ACT
• Summary of HR 964, the SPY ACT
• FRB's Mishkin Says Computer Demand Boosted by Vista OS
Alert No. 1,567, Thursday, April 19.
• FCC Announces Agenda for April 25 Meeting
• Summary of Patent Reform Act of 2007
• Reaction to the Patent Reform Act of 2007
• Patent Reform Act of 2007 Introduced
Alert No. 1,566, Tuesday, April 17.
• FTC and DOJ Release Report on IPR and Antitrust
• Kimmitt Discusses U.S. Japan Trade
• Supreme Court Rules in Global Crossing v. Metrophones
• Supreme Court Requests Solicitor General Brief in Patent Case
Alert No. 1,565, Monday, April 16.
• FCC Fines Radio Broadcast Companies for Selling Airtime
• Copyright Office Announces Notice of Inquiry Regarding Cable and Satellite Statutory Licenses
• Trade Officials Discuss Doha Round Negotiations
Alert No. 1,564, Wednesday, April 11.
• FTC Issues Report on Marketing of Violent Video Games, Movies and Music to Children
• Copyright Office and USPTO to Hold Roundtable on Draft WIPO Broadcast Treaty
Alert No. 1,563, Tuesday, April 10.
• Senate Finance Committee to Examine Use of ID Theft to Obtain Tax Refunds of Others
• 9th Circuit Constrains Computer Privacy
Alert No. 1,562, Monday, April 9.
• US to Complain to WTO Regarding PR China's Failure to Protect IPR
Alert No. 1,561, Friday, April 6.
• Gutierrez Discusses WTO, IPR, and High Tech in Russia
• FCC Creates Communications Security, Reliability and Interoperability Council
• Copyright Office to Begin Online Registrations
Alert No. 1,560, Wednesday, April 4.
• Antitrust Modernization Commission Releases Report
• AMC Addresses Innovation
• AMC Seeks End to Duplicative FCC Antitrust Merger Reviews
• Rep. Markey Writes FCC Chairman Martin Regarding Universal Service
• IRS Reports Loss of Another 490 Computers
• Grand Jury Indicts Four For Exporting Microprocessors to India
Alert No. 1,559, Monday, April 2.
• US and Korea Announce FTA
• OUSTR Releases Trade Report
• House Subcommittee Questions Google Regarding Publication of Satellite Imagery
• Microsoft Still Owns the Windows Mark
Alert No. 1,558, Wednesday, March 28.
• Federal Circuit Rules on Case or Controversy Requirement in Patent DJ Actions
• GAO Finds Information Security Weaknesses at SEC
• SEC's Cox Discusses XBRL Tagging of Executive Compensation Data
Alert No. 1,557, Tuesday, March 27.
• FreeConference Alleges Blocking of Calls by AT&T
• FCC Releases AT&T BellSouth Merger Review Orders
• FCC Releases MDU NPRM
• Supreme Court Grants Cert in Stoneridge Investment v. Scientific-Atlanta
Alert No. 1,556, Monday, March 26.
• FCC Declares Wireless Broadband Is An Information Service
• FCC Adopts NOI Regarding Broadband Market Practices
• FCC Adopts MDU Forced Access NPRM
• FCC Adopts Report on State of Competition in Communications Satellite Services Industry
Alert No. 1,555, Wednesday, March 21.
• 8th Circuit Denies Petitions for Review of FCC's Vonage VOIP Order
Alert No. 1,554, Tuesday, March 20.
• Supreme Court Seeks Solicitor General Brief on Patent Settlements with Reverse Payments
• Supreme Court Denies Certiorari in Verity v. FTC
• Michael Copps Announces Staff Changes
Alert No. 1,553, Monday, March 19.
• FCC Releases Agenda for March 22 Meeting
• Martin Announces New Legal Advisors
Alert No. 1,552, Wednesday, March 14.
• 9th Circuit Rules Bertelsmann Does Not Have to Produce Attorney Client Communications in Napster Related Copyright Case
• SEC and DOJ Take Action Against Hijackers of Online Brokerage Accounts
• SEC Pursues Second Set of Hijackers of Online Brokerage Accounts
• SEC Suspends Trading in 35 Companies Touted by Spam
Alert No. 1,551, Tuesday, March 13.
• 9th Circuit Holds That Wireless Zoning Ordinance Violates § 253(a), But This Creates No Private Right Of Action Under § 1983
• Viacom Files Complaint Against Google and YouTube Alleging Violation of Copyright Law
• NTIA Releases Converter Box Coupon Program Rules
• DOJ IG Releases Reports on Use of NSLs and Section 215 Authority
Alert No. 1,550, Monday, March 12.
• House Commerce Committee Holds Hearing on Bill Related to Pretexting of, and Data Sharing by, Carriers
• Summary of HR 936, the Prevention of Fraudulent Access to Phone Records Act
• DOJ Publishes Rules Regarding Functions of the National Security Division
Alert No. 1,549, Friday, March 9.
• Gates Advocates H1B Visas, Permanent R&D Tax Credit, Patent Reform, and STEM Education
• GAO Reports on Stalled Doha Round Negotiations
• House Commerce Committee To Examine NTIA Efforts to Protect DNS Root Server System
Alert No. 1,548, Wednesday, March 7.
• 10th Circuit Rules on State Approval of Interconnection Agreements
• AG Gonzales Discusses Extradition in Software Piracy Case
• FCC Releases Text of Video Franchising Order and Further NPRM
Alert No. 1,547, Tuesday, March 6.
• Microsoft Counsel Says Google Systematically Violates Copyright
• Supreme Court Rules on Doctrine of Forum Non Conveniens
Alert No. 1,546, Monday, March 5.
• DHS Proposes Rules Implementing REAL ID Act
• Skype Files Petition Requesting that FCC Declare that Carterfone Principles Apply to Wireless Carriers
• Tim Wu Paper Advocates Network Neutrality Mandates for Wireless Broadband
• 9th Circuit Holds That Web Based Software That Prepares Bankruptcy Petitions Is Unlicensed Practice of Law
Alert No. 1,545, Wednesday, February 28.
• 4th Circuit Rules Person Seeking Anonymous usTLD Domain Name Registration Lacks Standing to Challenge NTIA's Disclosure Rules
• House Commerce Committee Targets Digital Currencies
• Rep. Boucher Introduces FAIR USE Act
Alert No. 1,544, Tuesday, February 27.
• Supreme Court Denies Certiorari in Copyright Preemption Case
• EFF Files FOIA Suit To Obtain FISA Court's TSP Orders and Rules
• District Court Holds that Injury in Fact is a Prerequisite for Standing in Lost Data Case
Alert No. 1,543, Monday, February 26.
• 1st Circuit Rules in Section 230 Case
• 8th Circuit Rules in Section 1030 Case
Alert No. 1,542, Thursday, February 22.
• FCC Grants Qwest Petition for Forbearance
• SEC Files and Settles Complaint Against Veritas Software
• Commerce Secretary Discusses Trade with India
• Jury Finds Patent Infringement in Lucent v. Microsoft
Alert No. 1,541, Wednesday, February 21.
• FTC Announces Workshop and Seeks Comments on ID Verification and Authentication
• 7th Circuit Approves Use of FISA Wiretap in Domestic Criminal Case Involving Unlicensed Export of Semiconductors
• Panel Debates M2Z Proposal
Alert No. 1,540, Tuesday, February 20.
• XM and Sirius Announce Plans to Merge
• Green and Pickering Reintroduce Bill to Protect Terrestrial Radio from Satellite Radio Competition
• US and Japan Sign MRA on Telecommunications Equipment
Alert No. 1,539, Monday, February 19.
• FTC Files Civil Complaint Against HP's Outside Pretexters
• FCC Releases Biennial Review Reports
• House Approves Patent Judges Bill
• Broadband Regulation Bill Filed in Maryland Legislature
Alert No. 1,538, Thursday, February 15.
• Senate and House Hold Hearings on Trade, TPA and IP Theft in PRC
• Senate Judiciary Committee Holds Hearing on Court Security and Judicial Pay
Alert No. 1,537, Wednesday, February 14.
• Federal Reserve Reports on ICT and State of the Economy
• 11th Circuit Rules on Privacy, DPPA and § 1983 Suits Against DMV Officials
Alert No. 1,536, Tuesday, February 13.
• 4th Circuit Applies eBay v. MercExchange in Copyright Injunction Case
• 2nd Circuit Rules in Dormant Commerce Clause Case
Alert No. 1,535, Friday, February 9.
• AG Gonzales Discusses Intellectual Property in Brazil
• FTC Releases Final Order and Opinion in Rambus DRAM Proceeding
• Rep. Dingell Says Commerce Committee Will Exercise its Cybersecurity Jurisdiction
Alert No. 1,534, Thursday, February 8.
• 10th Circuit Considers TCPA Junk Fax Claims
• FCC Releases Report on Phone Competition
• FCC Report Shows Rapid Growth in Broadband Users
Alert No. 1,533, Tuesday, February 6.
• US Files Complaint with WTO Regarding PRC Export Subsidies
• 11th Circuit Rules in Case Involving Disposition of Copyrights by Bankruptcy Court
• 8th Circuit Addresses Sections 253 & 1983 in Rights of Way Case
Alert No. 1,532, Monday, February 5.
• FCC Accepts for Filing M2Z's Application for Free Spectrum
• Analysis of Support for a Network Neutrality Mandate in the House and Senate
• Rep. Boucher Suggests Need for Compromise on Net Neutrality
• Summary of the Dorgan Snowe Network Neutrality Bill
Alert No. 1,531, Thursday, February 1.
• Rep. Dingell and Rep. Markey Send Questions to FCC
• DOJ's Barnett Discusses Telecom Mergers
• Bush Calls for Reform of Sarbox 404 Implementation and Extension of TPA
• EFF Files FOIA Complaint to Obtain DOD Records Regarding Monitoring of Army Bloggers
Alert No. 1,530, Wednesday, January 31.
• Priceline, Travelocity and Cingular Agree to Stop Using Deceptive Adware
• FTC Takes Administrative Action Against Sony BMG Over Music CDs
• FTC Obtains $465,000 Judgment Against Company that Induced Spam
• Schwab Discusses Doha Round and IPR Violations in PR China
Alert No. 1,529, Tuesday, January 30.
• FCC Grants Petition for Forbearance From Unbundling Requirements in Anchorage
• SEC Seeks Comments on Proposal to Mandate Internet Availability of Proxy Materials
Alert No. 1,528, Monday, January 29.
• Maine Rejects REAL ID Act
• House Bill Would Mandate Notices for Consumers Regarding DTV Transition
• DOJ's Masoudi Addresses Antitrust, Standard Setting and IPR
Alert No. 1,527, Friday, January 26.
• Atkins Discusses Sarbox 404
• NIST Seeks Applications for EE and IT Grants
• House & Senate Bills Would Temporarily Ban State & Local Taxes that Discriminate Against Mobile Services
• Rep. Rush Re-introduces Bill To Provide Tax Advantages to Promote Diversity Ownership of Telecom Business
• IRS Issues Chilling Release Regarding Telecom Tax Refunds
• House Bill Would Create Congressional Trade Office
Alert No. 1,526, Thursday, January 25.
• Federal Circuit Addresses 11th Amendment Immunity
• Federal Circuit Rules on Antitrust Actions for Enforcement of Patents Obtained by Fraud on USPTO
• Reps. Issa and Schiff Reintroduce Patent Judges Bill
• Bills Would Require FTC to Revise Do Not Call Rules to Cover Political Messages
• Rep. Hayes Introduces Telemarketing Fraud Bill
• House Bill Would Regulate Inmate Phone Services
• House and Senate Bills Address Emergency Communications Interoperability Grants
Alert No. 1,525, Wednesday, January 24.
• District Court Rules in Atlantic v. XM
• Bush Gives Speech
• BSA Announces 2007 Policy Agenda
Alert No. 1,524, Tuesday, January 23.
• DOJ and FTC File Amicus Merits Brief in Case Regarding Minimum Resale Price Maintenance
• Cato Paper Discusses Data Retention Mandate
• Rep. Gordon Introduces Basic Research Authorization Bill
• House Science Committee Bill Would Authorize Funding to Train Math and Science Teachers
• Dodd Ehlers Bill Would Set Voluntary Math and Science K-12 Education Standards
• Rep. Ehlers Introduces STEM Education Bills
• Rep. Ehlers Wants NAS to Study the Value of Online Education
• Rep. Jo Ann Davis Seeks STEM Grants for Associate Degree Colleges
Alert No. 1,523, Monday, January 22.
• 2nd Circuit Rules in Internet Free Speech Case
• Paper Addresses Vulnerability of GPS and other Satellite Systems to PRC Attacks
• FCC Releases Latest Phone Subscribership Data
• PFF Releases 2007 Policy Agenda
Alert No. 1,522, Thursday, January 18.
• Gonzales Testifies Before Senate Judiciary Committee
Alert No. 1,521, Wednesday, January 17.
• NSA to Obtain FISA Authority for Disputed Electronic Surveillance
• Martin Discusses FCC Activities
• AG Gonzales Discusses Judiciary
Alert No. 1,520, Tuesday, January 16.
• Bush Signs Bill That Criminalizes Pretexting to Obtain Phone Records
• Hewlett Packard Pretexter Pleads Guilty in Federal Court
• Trade Negotiators Say Doha Deal is Doable
• IIPA Wants USTR to Put Canada on Priority Watch List for Failure to Protect IPR
Alert No. 1,519, Friday, January 12.
• Cisco Sues Apple for Trademark Infringement
Alert No. 1,518, Thursday, January 11.
• FCC Releases Orders on Requests for Waivers of FCC's Set Top Box Rules
• FCC Releases Agenda for January 17 Event
Alert No. 1,517, Wednesday, January 10.
• Democrats Name House Commerce Subcommittee Chairmen
• Republicans Name House Commerce Subcommittee Ranking Members
• Bush Names Fred Fielding Counsel to the President
• Bush Announces Court of Appeals Nominees
• Bush Announces District Court Nominations
• DOJ Appointments
• FCC Appointments
• Trade Related Appointments
Alert No. 1,516, Tuesday, January 9.
• Supreme Court Rules on Case or Controversy Requirement in Patent Litigation
• Supreme Court Denies Certiorari in Echostar v. Fox
• 8th Circuit Upholds IUB Order Regarding Rural Wireless Service
Alert No. 1,515, Monday, January 8.
• Supreme Court Grants Certiorari in PSLRA Case Regarding Pleading of Scienter
• 9/11 Commission Bill Includes Privacy and Civil Liberties Provisions
• More Bills To Be Considered By The House During The Week Of January 8-12
Alert No. 1,514, Friday, January 5.
• Sen. Baucus Advocates TPA and FTAs
• New Senate Bills
• Section 1030 and Wi-Fi
Alert No. 1,513, Wednesday, January 3.
• Washington Research Foundation Files Bluetooth Patent Infringement Action
• Intertainer Files Patent Infringement Complaint Regarding Video on Demand Technology
Alert No. 1,512, Tuesday, January 2.
• FCC to Approve AT&T BellSouth Merger with Conditions
• Story Titles from July - December, 2006.
• Story Titles from January - June, 2006.
• Story Titles from July - December, 2005.
• Story Titles from January - June, 2005.
• Story Titles from July - December, 2004.
• Story Titles from January - June, 2004.
• Story Titles from July - December, 2003.
• Story Titles from January - June, 2003.
• Story Titles from July - December, 2002.