IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
February 10, 1999
Mr. TANCREDO (for himself, Mr. STUMP, Mr. TAYLOR of North Carolina, Mr. SESSIONS, Mr. ROYCE, Mr. SAXTON, Mr. BALLENGER, Mr. DICKEY, Mr. THORNBERRY, Mr. BURTON of Indiana, Mr. RADANOVICH, Mr. PETRI, Mr. HAYWORTH, Mr. SHADEGG, and Mr. DOOLITTLE) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Commerce
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
This Act may be cited as the `E-Rate Termination Act'.
SEC. 2. TERMINATION OF DISCOUNT PROGRAM.
(a) IN GENERAL- Section 254(h) of the Communications Act of 1934 (47 U.S.C. 254(h)) is amended--
(1) in paragraph (1), by striking subparagraph (B);
(2) in paragraph (2)--
(A) in subparagraph (A)--
(i) by striking `elementary and secondary school classrooms,'; and
(ii) by striking `, and libraries'; and
(B) in subparagraph (B), by striking `public institutional telecommunications users' and inserting `health care providers';
(3) in paragraph (3), by striking `public institutional telecommunications user' and inserting `health care provider';
(4) in paragraph (4), by striking `, is a school' and all that follows through `Act'; and
(5) in paragraph (5)--
(A) by striking subparagraphs (A) and (C); and
(B) by redesignating subparagraph (B) as subparagraph (A).
(b) UNIVERSAL SERVICE PRINCIPLES- Section 254(b)(6) of the Communications Act of 1934 (47 U.S.C. 254(b)(6)) is amended--
(1) in the paragraph heading, by striking `SCHOOLS, HEALTH CARE, AND LIBRARIES' and inserting `HEALTH CARE'; and
(2) by striking `Elementary and secondary schools and classrooms, health care providers, and libraries' and inserting `Health care providers'.
(c) SPECIAL SERVICES- Section 254(c)(3) of the Communications Act of 1934 (47 U.S.C. 254(c)(3)) is amended by striking `schools, libraries, and'.