S 1544, the "Data-Mining Reporting Act of 2003".
Sponsor: Sen. Russ Feingold (D-WI).
Date Introduced: July 31, 2003.
Source: Office of Sen. Feingold.
IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES
_____ introduced the following bill; which was read twice and referred to the Committee on _____
To provide for data-mining reports to Congress.
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
This Act may be cited as the ‘‘Data-Mining Reporting Act of 2003’’.
SEC. 2. REPORTS ON DATA-MINING ACTIVITIES.
(a) REQUIREMENT FOR REPORT.—The head of each department or agency of the Federal Government that is engaged in any activity to use or develop data-mining technology shall each submit to Congress a report on all such activities of the department or agency under the jurisdiction of that official.
(b) CONTENT OF REPORT.—A report submitted under subsection (a) shall include, for each activity to use or develop data-mining technology that is required to be covered by the report, the following information:
(1) A thorough description of the data-mining technology.
(2) A thorough discussion of the plans for the use of such technology and the target dates for the deployment of the data-mining technology.
(3) An assessment of the likely efficacy of the data-mining technology in providing accurate and valuable information consistent with the stated plans for the use of the technology.
(4) An assessment of the likely impact of the implementation of the data-mining technology on privacy and civil liberties.
(5) A list of the laws and regulations that govern the information to be collected, reviewed, gathered, and analyzed with the data-mining technology and a description of any modifications of such laws that will be required to use the information in the manner proposed under such program.
(6) A thorough discussion of the policies, procedures, and guidelines that are to be developed and applied in the use of such technology for data-mining in order to—
(A) protect the privacy rights of individuals; and
(B) ensure that only accurate information is collected and used.
(c) TIME FOR REPORT.—Each report required under subsection (a) shall be—
(1) submitted not later than 90 days after the date of the enactment of this Act; and
(2) updated once a year and include any new data-mining technologies.